[nikonf4] Re: Microsoft warns of zero-day attack affecting Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8

  • From: Eric Welch <ericwelch@xxxxxx>
  • To: nikonf4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 09:30:30 -0700

On Nov 6, 2010, at 8:59 AM, Mark Stein wrote:
> It wasn't a major argument... I just gave the browser stats for the people
> using the app, along with how long IE6 had been out and they agreed to my
> recommendations.
>
> We still use XP at work.  They want to roll out Win 7, the problem is we have
> some stuff that won't work on the upgrade. The current project I'm working on
> is a rewrite of software that's stuck at Java 1.3, on a win 2003 box (with an
> application server that's beyone EOL and can't go on another box).  It takes
> time and money to correct bad technology... companies don't always want to
> make the investment to do it.

Yeah, we have some ancient 3D Modeling software that lets you specify the
lighting in a room (you can use a 360º panorama to set it up) and it will show
you the light return in a diamond in a 3D model. Works pretty slick. You can
set up any proportions or cut style and it will show you how light will return
in a diamond. Not your typical off-the-shelf software. It was designed, I
suspect, by people who make synthetic diamonds. It's from Russia and there
haven't been updates for years. Because of it, our lab's server has to remain
at Win Server 2000. Luckily with virtualization we can now have multiple
servers on one machine and I could get our department's server upgraded to Win
Server 2003 a few months back without messing up the lab, whose server is on
the same physical machine.

Eric

An engineer, a physicist, and a statistician were moose hunting in northern
Canada. After a short walk through the marshes they spotted a HUGE moose 150
metres away. The engineer raised his gun and fired at the moose. A puff of dust
showed that the bullet landed 3 metres to the right of the moose. The
physicist, realizing that there was a substantial breeze that the engineer did
not account for, aimed to the left of the moose and fired. The bullet landed 3
metres to the left of the moose. The statistician jumped up and down and
screamed "We got him! We got him!"