[nikonf4] Re: Microsoft warns of zero-day attack affecting Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8

  • From: Mark Stein <mjstein63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nikonf4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 11:59:04 -0400

It wasn't a major argument... I just gave the browser stats for the people using the app, along with how long IE6 had been out and they agreed to my recommendations.

We still use XP at work. They want to roll out Win 7, the problem is we have some stuff that won't work on the upgrade. The current project I'm working on is a rewrite of software that's stuck at Java 1.3, on a win 2003 box (with an application server that's beyone EOL and can't go on another box). It takes time and money to correct bad technology... companies don't always want to make the investment to do it.

At 08:48 AM 11/6/2010 -0700, you wrote:
On Nov 6, 2010, at 8:23 AM, Mark Stein wrote:
Unfortunately IE6 refuses to die. MS won't EOL it. What's happening instead is developers just refuse to write for it. At work I managed to convince my boss, and the client that we shouldn't support it with the project we're doing.

That someone needs convincing at this point should require their demotion or early retirement. They are clearly past their prime. Even my company is now going with Windows 7 on new machines and planning on installing Windows Server 2010 in the next year or two.

Eric

Associate not with evil men, lest you increase their number. - George Herbert