[nhab-tech] LibreOffice, a free Office Suite

  • From: "Marie" <jomar2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nhab-tech" <nhab-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 12:39:12 -0500

Hi folks,

Forgive me for posting snipets from other sources, but this one is of
particular interest, especially for those like myself, that cannot, or do
not, want to pay the high cost of packages like MS Office Suites.

The below is a pass along from a very trustworthy person.

*** beginning of msg;

LibreOffice is a free Office suite, similar in features to Microsoft Office.
It has never had the excellent level of accessibility with screen readers
which we've enjoyed with programs like Word and Excel but the suite is
usable and it is absolutely free of charge. It has an old-school menu bar
with no ribbons and uses many of the same commands we're used to with Word
and Excel. It can open Word and Excel files and is updated far more than
Microsoft revises its Office suite.

For a while, the spreadsheet Calc, similar to Excel, has had some
accessibility issues. However, a fix has been partially implemented and Calc
is now usable with JAWS and NVDA, along with Writer, which is the word
processor. It was an honor and a pleasure for me to be able to participate
in the testing process and share feedback with the developers who were
addressing the issues. Here is their official press release.

The Document Foundation announces LibreOffice 4.3.4 Berlin, November 14,
2014 - The Document Foundation announces LibreOffice 4.3.4, the fourth minor
release of LibreOffice 4.3 "fresh"

family, which is a stable release of the more advanced version of the
software, and is targeted to users focusing on features. LibreOffice

4.3.4 contains over 60 bug fixes.

People interested in technical details can find change logs for LibreOffice
4.3.4 here:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Releases/4.3.4/RC1  (fixed in RC1).

Download LibreOffice

LibreOffice 4.3.4 "Fresh" is immediately available for download from the
following link: http://www.libreoffice.org/download/.

LibreOffice users, free software advocates and community members can support
The Document Foundation with a donation at http://donate.libreoffice.org.

by italovignoli at November 14, 2014 10:02 AM