[NewsRog] Proposal for XML Docs

  • From: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: newsrog@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:54:56 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

as the subject of my masters thesis was conversion of legacy HTML
documents to XML in an as much as possible automated way I had
the idea to do the same with the NR docs.

The goal of the process is to convert the HTML pages into valid
DocBook. Some of the benefits are that a consistent layout
is ensured throughout the manual and that it allows to create a
variety of output formats from a single source, e. g. HTML or PDF.
There are a number of other projects, e. g. GIMP, that also use
DocBook for their documentation.

The NR docs are basically chapter oriented (generic websites are
not in the scope of the framework) but it turns out that the tabular
layout with the vertical headlines requires some extra tweaking
in the conversion process.

I've made a first, very rough, conversion of the docs available at:
http://lahksa.home.t-link.de/nrdocs.tgz

The graphics aren't included in the archive, copy the whole
Graphics directory (not just its contents) from the original docs
into the images directory.

This version is broken in many ways, it's just the first run to
evaluate opinions about this approach. Please let me know what
you think about the idea.

Bye, Chris

Arcor-DSL: jetzt ohne Einrichtungspreis einsteigen oder wechseln
Sie sparen 99,95 Euro. Arcor-DSL ist in vielen Anschlussgebieten
verf=FCgbar. http://www.arcor.de/home/redir.php/emf-dsl-1