[newsline-beta] Re: [newsline-beta -- Comments on braille, limited content, and other jazz

  • From: "Deborah Kendrick" <dkkendrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <newsline-beta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:04:39 -0500

Hi, Everyone,
I've been running around quite a bit past few days, so forgive me if I'm
repeating things others have said.  First, I've downloaded the Arizona paper
and the Economist each a few times and read them in various ways.  Peter,
you said you were particularly interested in braille access, so first that
piece.

I loaded the .brf file of the Economist into my BrailleNote.  It reads just
fine -- if you discount the fact that there are no bylines, and apparently
only one long article with several sections.  The letter a followed by a
colon, was an easy idenitfying separator, so that I could search for that
symbol and find each new subhead.  Still, my personal bias is that who wrote
a piece is a very important piece of information, and, as I say, there were
no bylines.  Moving through the text by paragraph worked nicely.  Is this
all of the magazine that is being provided (one article), or is this just an
excerpt for testing purposes?

I loaded both files into Kurzweil 1000 and, again, found it initially easy
enough to read, but there is limited content, no bylines and, in the version
I downloaded of Arizona Republic no article separators.

The list of subheads at the top of the EEconomist file works nicely.  I hope
that is the prototype for lists of article titles when we get get whole
magazines!

Deborah