[newsline-beta] my further testing

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <kellhart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <newsline-beta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:16:55 -0500

Hi all,
Yesterday I downloaded the most recent Daisy version of the Sunday New York
Times. I had a couple of issues, but I don't know whether they were problems
of my technology or general problems, so I'll mention them here for others
to verify or deny. <grin> First, I'm using Kurzweil 6.02 and opened the xml
file. It seemed that the top of every page was the photo captions from the
article on the previous page. Now this may be just my problem because my
Kurzweil has recently developed a bizarre pagination complex, but it would
be nice if someone else can check. If this is actually the case it would be
really nice if the top of the page could be the beginning of the article
instead of the photo captions immediately before it. Also, on what was for
me page 3 Kurzweil refused to read continuously or in any way except by
line. I tried to remedy this by inserting a page break; I know that sounds
irrelevant but it has worked when I had the problem before. I paged down to
the next page and then back up to have it read the page I had just created,
but this caused a consistent crash. I restarted and tried to read this file
several times, but with the same result. So then I resorted to Jeff's
solution and opened the file in Explorer to read it. That worked fine except
here the apostrophes where there should be quotes caused a problem that also
may or may not be unique to me and my computer. With punctuation set to
"some" my external DecTalk was saying the apostrophes, which was, believe it
or not, rather annoying. <grin> When I tried to correct this by turning my
punctuation to none the synth proceeded to ignore punctuation entirely; it
didn't pause for commas or periods or react to question marks or exclamation
points. So I was stuck with hearing apostrophe or hearing the entire Sunday
NY Times read as though it were one 2-meg run-on sentence. <lol>