'THIS CITY'S OURS', say troops in Baghdad

  • From: "muslim-news.net" <muslim_affairs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 12:20:52 +0100

U.S. Army troops captured one of Saddam Hussein's presidential palaces,
fired on another and blew up one of his statues as they rolled into the
center of this isolated, faltering capital today, and American military
intelligence said the collapse of the Iraqi leader's regime was only
days away.

"Saddam Hussein says he owns Baghdad," said Col. David Perkins,
commander of the 2nd Brigade of the 3rd Infantry Division. "Wrong. We
own Baghdad."

"We're in Baghdad," declared Marine Brig. Gen. John Kelly. "And we're in
Baghdad to stay."

Source:  The Press Association Limited