Saudi bans nationals from Jihad

  • From: "Muslim-News" <editor_@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 16:50:00 +0100

Saudi Arabia has banned nationals from taking part in any military
activity outside of the kingdom, Crown Prince Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz
said in an interview printed Saturday.

"To save the youth from traps laid down for them, the kingdom has issued
a decision banning its nationals from taking part in any military
activity (abroad)," Prince Abdullah told the Saudi-owned Aharq Al-Awsat
newspaper. Several hundred Saudis fought for years in Afghanistan
against the Soviet invasion, and then many of them were caught up in
factional fighting that followed.

An unspecified number of Saudis were also members of Saudi-born Osama
bin Laden's Al-Qaeda network, and linked to the Taliban militia that
ruled in Kabul until a US-led international offensive last October.

Saudi militants have also fought in Chechnya and Bosnia and other parts
of the Muslim world.

At least 15 of the 19 hijackers who carried out the terror attacks on
the World Trade Center and the Pentagon last September are believed to
be Saudi.

Prince Abdullah also said a series of decisions have been issued to
regulate Saudi charity work in the interests of the charities
themselves, some of whom have been accused in the United States of
funding terrorism abroad.

"We should not accuse all of them, but it is important to be certain of
the intentions of these (charity) societies and the benefits of their
work," he said.

"I don't say regulating them just to clean up political impurities, but
more than that to ensure charity reaches people who deserve it. Our duty
is to know where, how and to whom such aid goes," Prince Abdullah
asserted.

Source:  Agence France Presse