Robertson Calls Islam a Religion of Violence, Mayhem

  • From: "Muslim News" <editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:46:37 -0000

Television evangelist Pat Robertson yesterday described Islam as a
violent religion bent on world domination, drawing immediate protests
from American Muslims.
Robertson, one of the most powerful figures on the religious right, made
the remarks on his Christian Broadcasting Network's "700 Club." In
mid-September, he and fellow evangelist Jerry Falwell sparked
controversy by suggesting on the same show that abortionists, feminists,
gays and liberal groups were partly responsible for the Sept. 11
terrorist attacks.

After a segment yesterday on the political views of Muslims in America,
the announcer, Lee Webb, turned to Robertson and asked: "As for the
Muslim immigrants, Pat, it makes you wonder, if they have such contempt
for our foreign policy why they'd even want to live here?"

"Well, as missionaries possibly to spread the doctrine of Islam,"
Robertson answered. "But, ladies and gentlemen, I have taken issue with
our esteemed president in regard to his stand in saying Islam is a
peaceful religion. It's just not. And the Koran makes it very clear, if
you see an infidel, you are to kill him."

Robertson added that "the fact is that our immigration policies are now
so skewed to the Middle East and away from Europe that we have
introduced these people into our midst and undoubtedly there are
terrorist cells all over them."

Islam, he concluded, "is not a peaceful religion that wants to coexist.
They want to coexist until they can control, dominate and then if need
be destroy."

Hussein Ibish, communications director of the American-Arab
Anti-Discrimination Committee, called Robertson's remarks "truly
outrageous."

"We know the word for this. This is called anti-Semitism," Ibish said.
". . . It's a resurgent anti-Semitism with the word 'Muslims' instead of
the word 'Jews.' "

Source:  The Washington Post