Israeli troops shoot Muslim whilst he protected his children

  • From: "Muslim News" <editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 07:44:55 -0000

GAZA, (Reuters) - Israeli troops shot dead a Palestinian on Monday just
as he had finished moving his six children out of their house to protect
them during an army raid into Rafah refugee camp in the Gaza Strip,
witnesses said.

Ibrahim Barhoum, 42, took his children outside because of fears that
tanks and bulldozers would destroy the house in the raid, which Israeli
military sources said was a search for tunnels used to smuggle arms from
across the nearby border with Egypt.

"I was the last to be got out by my father. He put his hands on my
shoulders as we ran away but Israeli soldiers on top of the nearby
building shot at him," said his son Ahmed, 12.

"I kept running. I thought he was injured and would then follow me but
he never did," he added.

Mahmoud al-Hams, a local resident, said troops had prevented an
ambulance approaching and Barhoum remained on the ground for four hours
until the tanks pulled out.

An Israeli military source said soldiers had been fired upon from the
house, and had returned fire when they spotted two gunmen.

"It was a complex and dangerous operation, but throughout there was no
intention of harming non-combatants," the source said.

Palestinian medics said two civilians and a policeman were killed in
Rafah, a poor and densely-populated area regarded by Israel as a major
pocket of resistance. Gunbattles erupted and residents were urged over
loudspeakers to resist.

Three new houses and a Palestinian police post were demolished in
Monday's raid, witnesses said.

At least 10,000 people later marched at the funeral of the three men.
The crowd called for revenge and some armed men fired rifles in the air.

The army has repeatedly entered Rafah during the 17-month-old uprising
against Israeli occupation in Gaza and the West Bank. It has demolished
buildings which it said gunmen used as shields to shoot at Israelis, and
hundreds of families are now homeless.

Source:  Reuters

You can choose whether you prefer to receive regular emails or a weekly digest
by visiting http://www.muslim-news.net

Archive: http://archive.muslim-news.net

You can subscribe by sending an email to request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the subject line, or by visiting
http://www.muslim-news.net

word "unsubscribe" (without quotes) in the subject line, or by visiting
http://www.muslim-news.net

You are welcome to submit any relevant news story to submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For regular Islamic cultural articles by email, send email to
revivalist-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx