Graham regrets Jewish slur

  • From: "Muslim News" <editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 17:37:50 -0000

 Billy Graham
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/36069000/jpg/_36069246_graham300.jpg

Billy Graham has "spent his life building bridges"

The Reverend Billy Graham has apologised for a taped conversation with
former President Nixon in which he said the Jewish "stranglehold" of the
media was ruining the United States and must be broken.

  <http://news.bbc.co.uk/furniture/startquote.gif>

This stranglehold has got to be broken or this country's going down the
drain
  <http://news.bbc.co.uk/furniture/endquote.gif>

Billy Graham to Richard Nixon
The remarks came in 500 hours of tapes Nixon had secretly recorded
during the first six months of 1972 which have now been released by the
US National Archives.

"Although I have no memory of the occasion, I deeply regret comments I
apparently made in an Oval Office conversation with President Nixon some
30 years ago," Mr Graham said in a statement released by his Texas
public relations firm.

 Former US President Richard Nixon's tape recorder
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1845000/images/_1848157_recorder150ap.jpg

Nixon had hundreds of conversations taped

"They do not reflect my views and I sincerely apologise for any offence
caused by the remarks," he said, adding that he had spent his life
building bridges between Jews and Christians.

In the taped conversation, Mr Graham said the Jewish "stranglehold" on
the media "has got to be broken or this country's going down the drain".

"You believe that?" Nixon replies.

"Yes, sir."

"Oh boy. So do I. I can't ever say that but I believe it," Nixon says.

"If you get elected a second time, then we might be able to do
something," Mr Graham replies.

  <http://news.bbc.co.uk/furniture/startquote.gif>

A lot of Jews are great friends of mine, but they don't know how I
really feel about what they're doing to this country
  <http://news.bbc.co.uk/furniture/endquote.gif>

Billy Graham to Richard Nixon
Later in the conversation, when Nixon raises the subject of Jewish
influence in Hollywood, Mr Graham says:

"A lot of Jews are great friends of mine. They swarm around me and are
friendly to me, because they know that I am friendly to Israel and so
forth, but they don't know how I really feel about what they're doing to
this country, and I have no power and no way to handle them."

Nixon, who became friends with Mr Graham in the 1950s during his time as
vice president in the Eisenhower administration, then advises: "You must
not let them know."

Source : BBC

You can choose whether you prefer to receive regular emails or a weekly
digest by visiting  <http://www.muslim-news.net>
http://www.muslim-news.net

Archive:  <http://archive.muslim-news.net>
http://archive.muslim-news.net

You can subscribe by sending an email to
<mailto:request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the subject line, or by visiting
<http://www.muslim-news.net> http://www.muslim-news.net

You can unsubscribe by sending an email to
<mailto:request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word
"unsubscribe" (without quotes) in the subject line, or by visiting
<http://www.muslim-news.net> http://www.muslim-news.net

You are welcome to submit any relevant news story to
<mailto:submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For regular Islamic cultural articles by email, send email to
<mailto:revivalist-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
revivalist-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

JPEG image

GIF image