Europe threatens Israel with sanctions

  • From: "Muslim News" <editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 23:52:49 +0100

The European Union is preparing billion-dollar sanctions against Israel
if Ariel Sharon continues to defy international opinion and reject calls
for an end to his invasion of the Palestinian territories. 

---------------------------------------------------------------
To receive your Muslim News in Arabic, send an email to
ishtirak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word "subscribe" in the subject or
body, or visit http://www.muslim-news.net
---------------------------------------------------------------
 
European governments appear prepared to turn to economic weapons after
the Israeli Prime Minister defied President Bush's call at the weekend
for a withdrawal "without delay". Mr Sharon pledged only that the
offensive would be accelerated, not ended. 

Josep Pique, the Spanish Foreign Minister, revealed yesterday that
European foreign ministers had discussed sanctions at emergency talks in
Luxembourg last week and would discuss punitive measures at their next
meeting. 

"It is a possible scenario ... Some countries are in favour of
introducing sanctions very, very soon; others are more reluctant. So we
have to discuss it," Mr Pique said. 

Louis Michel, the Belgian Foreign Minister, said the EU might rethink
trade ties with Israel. The EU has donated millions of pounds of aid to
the Palestinian Authority only to see infrastructure, such as the new
airstrip in Gaza, destroyed by Israeli troops. 

Europe is one of Israel's biggest trading partners and sanctions such as
suspending a long-standing "association agreement" – and the trade
concessions it gives Israel – would be a blow to relations with
Brussels. 

The EU threat came as Israel faced demands from international aid and
human rights organisations to stop the military offensive, amid warnings
that a humanitarian crisis was in the making. 

Peter Hansen of Unwra, the United Nations relief agency for Palestinian
refugees, said his organisation was receiving reports of "pure horror"
from refugee camps in Jenin and Balata in Nablus, which have been
invaded by Israeli troops for the second time in a month. Mr Hansen said
Israeli combat helicopters had been strafing residential areas. 

The scale of the killing was unclear yesterday as fighting raged in
Nablus and Jenin, not least because Israel has barred the media from the
areas invaded by its forces, where more than 1.5 million people are
confined to their homes by an army curfew. 

Lieutenant-General Shaul Mofaz, the Chief of Staff of the Israeli armed
forces, told a cabinet meeting that 200 Palestinians and 11 Israeli
soldiers had been killed since the military operation began 11 days ago,
in the name of rooting out Palestinian militants. 

The army claimed that the bulk of the Palestinian dead were armed
fighters but there are countless reports of civilian victims. An
estimated 1,500 Palestinians and 143 Israeli soldiers have been injured.


In Texas, after a weekend summit with President Bush, Tony Blair said
Britain and its European partners were prepared to send peace monitors
to help to kickstart the political process – an idea Israel has in the
past rejected. 

Mr Bush telephoned Mr Sharon at the weekend – for the first time since
February – and called for a withdrawal "without delay". Significantly,
however, the American President did not demand a timetable for an
Israeli pullback. 

Colin Powell, his Secretary of State, embarks on a high-profile
diplomatic mission to the Middle East today but appeared to allow Mr
Sharon some leeway by timing his arrival in Jerusalem for Thursday at
the earliest, possibly to coincide with an Israeli withdrawal. Asked
whether Mr Bush had given Mr Sharon a deadline, General Powell said:
"The President doesn't give orders to the sovereign prime minister of
another country." 

Mr Blair also announced that the diplomatic offensive would include a
scheme to endorse in a new UN resolution on the Middle East the peace
plan put forward by Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia. 

The Prime Minister said a ceasefire had to be agreed immediately. "In
monitoring any such ceasefire and in ensuring the Palestinian Authority
genuinely take action against the terrorists, we and others stand ready
to help in any way we can," he said. 

With Spain holding the presidency of the EU, Mr Pique is one of its most
senior foreign policy spokesman and he made clear that sanctions had
already been discussed in private by the 15 nation states. 

"We discussed the possibility [of sanctions] at the last general council
in Luxembourg," he said. "It's a possible scenario." 

Mr Sharon showed no sign yesterday of heeding warnings that the massive
offensive by his armed forces is simply laying the ground for more
Palestinian violence and suicide attacks. 

The point was underscored by a warning from Hamas – responsible for many
of the suicide attacks – vowing to avenge the recent assassination of
several of its leaders with a response of "a new type and new colour
never seen before". 

Source:  news

============================================================
You can choose whether you prefer to receive regular emails or a weekly digest 
by visiting http://www.muslim-news.net

Archive: http://archive.muslim-news.net

You can subscribe by sending an email to request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word 
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the subject line, or by visiting 
http://www.muslim-news.net

You can unsubscribe by sending an email to request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the 
word "unsubscribe" (without quotes) in the subject line, or by visiting 
http://www.muslim-news.net

You are welcome to submit any relevant news story to submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For regular Islamic cultural articles by email, send email to 
revivalist-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
============================================================

Other related posts:

  • » Europe threatens Israel with sanctions