[neuroling] caveat emptor

  • From: Alexander Z. Guiora <aguiora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Giancarlo Buoiano <neuroling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 14:24:06 +0200

Dear All:
I don't know how many of you have received this letter. Apparently it originates from India, to me it looks like an attempt to  create a respectable looking vanity press operation - using your name as a fig leaf. After some inquiries, I declined the offer, and would advise you too to be careful before accepting such "invitations" .

Best,

Shonny Guiora

Begin forwarded message:

From: "The Open Applied Linguistics Journal" <toalj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: October 1, 2007 11:02:25 AM IST
Subject: Invitation letter for the Board Membership of "The Open Applied Linguistics Journal"

         The Open Applied Linguistics Journal

Monday, October 01, 2007

Dr. A.Z. Guiora
Department of Psychology
University of Haifa Haifa, 31905
Israel

Dear Dr.  Guiora

Bentham Science Publishers have gained a longstanding international reputation for their excellent standards and top quality publications. Many journals published by Bentham Science Publishers have received high impact factors in their respective fields. For the current list of publications, please visit www.bentham.org . Seven Nobel Laureates have endorsed a number of Bentham Science’s journals; please read their quotes at www.bentham.org/Nobel.htm

The publishers are now undertaking a new publication venture by launching a number of Open Access journals in 2007, devoted to various disciplines. For the current list of Open Access journals, please visit www.bentham.org/open

Open Access Journals are freely accessible via the Internet for immediate worldwide, open access to the full text of research articles for the best interests of the scientific community. All interested readers can read, download, and/or print any Open Access article at no cost. There are no subscription fees for Open Access journals.  The modest Open Access publication costs are usually covered by the author's institution or research funds. Moreover, authors who publish in our Open Access journals retain the copyright of their article. Open Access journals are no different from traditional subscription-based journals; they undergo the same peer-review and quality control as any other scholarly journal.

We are to launch this year an exciting new open access journal entitled, The Open Applied Linguistics Journal.

“The Open Applied Linguistics Journal” is an Open Access online journal, which publishes research articles, reviews and letters in all areas of Applied Linguistics.

The disciplines that are published in the journal are the following:

Applied Linguistics; Linguistic theory; computational linguistics; Psycholinguistics; Sociolinguistics; Discourse Analysis; Critical Applied Linguistics; Second Language Acquisition; Communication Disorders;
Neurolinguistics; Phonetics; language learning

 “The Open Applied Linguistics Journal”, a peer reviewed journal, aims to provide the most complete and reliable source of information on current developments in applied linguistics.  The emphasis will be on publishing quality articles rapidly and freely available to researchers worldwide.

 All published articles will be deposited immediately upon publication in at least one widely and internationally recognized open access repository.  Moreover, all articles are indexed by Google and Google Scholar, therefore providing the maximum exposure to the articles. The publishers are confident of the journal’s rapid success.

Based on your record of contributions in the field, I would like to invite you to submit your CV with current list of publications so that we may consider you as a possible Editorial Board Member for theThe Open Applied Linguistics Journal”.
As an editorial board member, you may be required to occasionally review research papers, solicit articles from your colleagues/acquaintances and help promote the journal at conferences and meetings that you attend. Submissions of manuscripts to the journal from Editorial Board Members will receive a discount of 50% off the total publication charges.

I hope you will accept my invitation to join the editorial board of the journal, in which case  could you kindly send us your reply by email to toalj@xxxxxxxxxxx  or alternatively tomalihaasif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best regards,

Yours sincerely,

Matthew Honan, PhD
Editorial Director
Bentham Science Publishers

This is not a spam message, and has been sent to you because of your eminence in the field. If, however, you do not want to receive any email/offer/invitation in future from Bentham Science,  then your email address will be excluded from our all emailing lists by clicking here.

Alexander Z. Guiora   Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus  of
Psychology, Psychiatry and Linguistics
The University of Michigan