[net-gold] [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 9, No. 10

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Nabble" <ml-node+3172864-337556105@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Digital Divide Diversity MLS <mls-digitaldivide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 06:44:33 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:41:44 -0500
From: Jonathan Mueller <jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: socialpsy-teach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 9, No. 10

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 9, No. 10

June  30, 2010

The e-mail newsletter accompanying the Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at

<http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow>

My annual reminder -- there is no July edition of the Newsletter.
See you again in August.

May I brag about my son for a moment?  He told me that he and his friends are going to find a kids' soccer game and show up with some vuvuzelas to serenade them.  Makes a father proud.  If you are "enjoying" the perpetual hum at the World Cup you might enjoy this article from The Onion: http://www.theonion.com/articles/south-african-vuvuzela-philharmonic-angered-by-soc,17625/.

Now on to more important stuff.  Subscriber Kristie Campana sent me the following two surveys (one for each half of her class) she distributes at the beginning of her social psychology course.  The data she collects allows her to illustrate the false consensus effect, actor-observer bias, and other phenomena during the semester.  It's a great idea to collect a lot of this data all at once at the beginning of the course. Some of you probably already do this.  Now we can put our collective heads together to improve upon it even further!  Send me your suggestions for other items to put on the survey to collect more data to illustrate other social psych phenomena.  I will send out those suggestions in the next issue, and you can build your own survey if you like.  I know I will start doing this. Thanks.

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/survey1.pdf

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/survey2.pdf

Activities and Exercises

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/activities.htm

Psychology in the Courtroom: Which defendent is more culpable?

http://forensicpsychologist.blogspot.com/ 2010/04/killing-and-culpability-reader.html

Very interesting exercise which asks how the moral character of the victim and the killer affects judgments of culpability.

Examples

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/examples.htm ;

Genes, Gender, and Culture: Cultural differences

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/ 16-products-they-only-sell-at-chinese-walmarts/

"Sixteen items they only sell at Chinese Walmarts"

Prejudice: Institutional racism

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ 2010/06/04/20100604arizona-mural-sparks-racial-debate.html

You may have heard of this recent event in Arizona.  Artists creating a mural at a school were apparently ordered by the principal to lighten the color of the faces of the children in the mural as a result of racist statements made by passersby.

Social Judgment: Superstition

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/ 2010/06/lucky-number-plates-go-up-in-value-when.html

In Hong Kong, license plates with the "lucky" number 8 sold for more and those with the "unlucky" number 4 sold for less when economic times were bad.

Social Judgment: Confirmation bias -- ignoring disconfirming evidence

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/ glenn_greenwald/2010/06/23/delusions/index.html

Glenn Greenwald makes the case in this essay that many who are complaining that the International Committee of the Red Cross is being denied access to an Israeli prisoner ignore the many times when "their side" does the same thing.

Social Judgment/Psychology in the Courtroom: Change blindness in the courtroom

http://theinvisiblegorilla.com/blog/2010/06/13/change_blind_courtroom/

An attorney attempted to use change blindness to get his client off for a traffic violation.  Find out what happened...

Articles

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/articles.htm

Genes, Gender, and Culture: Pink is for boys, and blue is for girls

http://www.springerlink.com/content/v17324p7g47771gk/fulltext.pdf

I don't know if you can access this article, but it provides some interesting history on the association of colors to gender.  Apparently in the U.S. pink was seen as appropriate for boys and blue for girls at the turn of the 20th century.  It was not until 1950 or so that the blue is for boys and pink is for girls became established.

Helping: Empathy in ravens?

http://www.plosone.org/article/ info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0010605

http://sciblogs.co.nz/skepticon/2010/06/23/ ravens-and-empathy-the-role-of-bystanders-after-conflict/

I always like research that tries to find "human" qualities in other species.  Is it possible to determine if ravens can empathize?

Prejudice: Children of lesbian parents more competent, less deviant

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/peds.2009-3153v1

http://forensicpsychologist.blogspot.com/ 2010/06/new-study-children-of-lesbians-more.html

The first link is to the research article; the second link is to a blog entry about it.

Social Judgment: Sensations of touch and weight influence social judgments

http://web.mit.edu/joshack/www/Ackerman_Haptic-priming2010.pdf

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/ 60542/title/Social_judgments_take_touching_turns

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/06/touching-cognition/

Some more cool embodied cognition research -- "In six experiments, holding heavy or light clipboards, solving rough or smooth puzzles, and touching hard or soft objects nonconsciously influenced impressions and decisions formed about unrelated people and situations."  The first link is to the research article; the second and third links are to articles about the research.

Social Judgment: Riskier the less hungry you are

http://www.plosone.org/article/ info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0011090

Those who ate a 2066-calorie meal made riskier decisions an hour later than those who fasted.  Okay, interesting.  But who eats a 2066-calorie meal?  No wonder we are all obese.  Blame it on researchers!

Topic Resources

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/topics.htm

Attraction: "Even virtual attractiveness changes how people treat you"

https://journals.tdl.org/jvwr/article/view/779/717

http://neoacademic.com/2010/06/16/ even-virtual-attractiveness-changes-how-people-treat-you/

Pick an attractive avatar in the virtual world and others (and you) will treat you differently.  The first link is to the journal article; the second link is to a blog entry about it.

Attraction and Relationships: "Romantic songs make women more open to dates"

http://noustuff.wordpress.com/2010/06/19/romantic-songs-make-women-more-open-to-dates/

Attraction and Relationships:  "Want romance? Show a little gratitude"

http://www.scientificblogging.com/ news_articles/want_romance_show_little_gratitude

Men and, particularly, women were less likely to break up with someone who had showed small acts of gratitude.  However, no manipulation occurred, so is the above headline warranted?

Genes, Gender, and Culture: Innate gender differences and video games

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ science-small-talk/201006/mars-and-venus-the-video-arcade

Subscriber Sam Sommers does a nice job of using some research on spatial training through video game play on the overemphasis of genetic explanations for gender and other differences.

Group Influence: Acetomeniphen reduces pain of social rejection

http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2010/06/headache_pill_reduce.html

Yep, soon there will be a pill for everything.  Apparently, "social rejection and physical pain really do share some of the same brain circuits." The first link is to the journal article; the second link is to a blog entry about it.

Persuasion/Social Judgment: Do we unconsciously evaluate objects/products?

http://neurokuz.blogspot.com/2010/06/are-we-conscious-or-unconscious.html

Here is another study examining whether or not the fMRI can be used to detect consumer preferences.

Psychology in the Courtroom: Manipulating memory

http://www.slate.com/id/2254054/pagenum/all/

Slate magazine has an excellent eight-part series on how memory can be manipulated.

Psychology in the Courtroom: "Federal judge rules against fMRI lie detector"

http://forensicpsychologist.blogspot.com/ 2010/06/federal-judge-rules-against-fmri-lie.html

Social Judgment: Lie detection through drawings

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2010/06/drawing-out-truth.html

Very cool study -- "Aldert Vrij's new study involved 31 police and military participants going on a mock mission to pick up a package from another agent before delivering it somewhere else. Afterwards the participants answered questions about the mission. Crucially, they were also asked to draw the scene of the package pick-up. Half the participants acted as truth-tellers, the others played the part of liars. Vrij's team reasoned that clever liars would visualise a location they'd been to, other than where the exchange took place, and draw that. They further reasoned that this would mean they'd forget to include the agent who participated in the exchange. This thinking proved shrewd: liars indeed tended not to draw the agent, whereas truth-tellers did. In fact, 80 per cent of truth tellers and 87 per cent of liars could be correctly classified on the basis of this factor alone."

The Self: Social influence on the illusion of control

http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2010/06/winners_wanted_luck.html

"The illusion of control is the tendency to believe that we have influence over uncontrollable events. It has been well demonstrated in gamblers who may often put down wins and losses to their skills and abilities, even on games like roulette where the outcomes are entirely random. This new study found that roulette players who learnt that someone else had recently 'won big' had an increased illusion of control, expected to win more and made more risky gambles while playing. However, this effect virtually disappeared simply by adding that the 'big winner' had put down his bonanza to sheer luck."

The Self: Happiness = $60,000/yr

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/04/daniel-kahneman-nobel-pri_n_601236.html

That's according to Nobel Laureate Daniel Kahneman

Technology in Teaching

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/technology.htm

      Video

Gender and Culture: If husband is flirting, make yourself more attractive

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201006100065

Advice from Reverend Pat Robertson

Social Judgment: Change blindness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY

A nice twist on the famous gorilla video, from Dan Simon -- if too many of your students have already seen the gorilla video or a variation of it, they can still be fooled by this one.

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses?  Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them.  Are there particular types of resources you would like examples of?

Particular topics you are interested in?  Teaching tips? Technology tips?  I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs.

So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me

(jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL  60540

jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2010.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes.  Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to unsubscribe from the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/signoff/socialpsy-teach

How to change subscription options:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/suboptions/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology