[net-gold] Khan Academy on Sixty Minutes

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Other Net-Gold Lists -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports Tourism <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 06:09:13 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:59:14 -0700
From: Richard Hake <rrhake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: AERA-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Net-Gold] Re: Khan Academy on Sixty Minutes

.

If you reply to this long (12 kB) post please
don't hit the reply button unless you prune the
copy of this post that may appear in your reply
down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the
entire already archived post may be needlessly
resent to subscribers.

.

.

ABSTRACT: POD's James Morrison wrote
(paraphrasing): "Last night Sixty Minutes
featured the "Kahn Academy: The Future of
Education" - a great depiction of an innovative
disruption, now applied to the sciences, but with
a prospect of expanding to other disciplines,
K-16."

.

Alan Bender then pointed to an initiative
"Multi-institutional Cognitive Coursewares
Design" at <http://bit.ly/wIUPGh> by the
"Association of Public and Land-Grant
Universities" to "develop sophisticated online
tutorials for various introductory college
courses rather than to wait for textbook
publishers and other companies to do so (and to
end up controlling the whole process)."

.

But Kahn Academy creator Salman Kahn is only indirectly responsible for:

.

(a) the highly publicized "flipped classroom,"
see e.g., "How 'Flipping' the Classroom Can
Improve the Traditional Lecture" at (for
subscribers) <http://bit.ly/xKYX8h> in the
"Chronicle of Higher Education," and

.

(b) the consequent race to develop tutorials for introductory college courses.

.

In an interview <http://bit.ly/yAfKac> in
"Education Week" Kahn says: "Very little of this
[flipping of the classroom] did I think of
myself. . . . . the flipped classroom is not what
we view as the ideal or the endpoint. We view it
almost as a transition state. . . . instead of
holding fixed the time and date when you learn
something and the variable is how well you learn
it, we're saying let's hold fixed how well you
learn it, and you learn it at a deep level, and
what's variable is how long you have to learn it,
and when you learn it, and when you revisit the
material."

.

.

A thread "Khan Academy on Sixty Minutes," now
grown to 4 posts on 15 March 2012 08:32-0800 on
the OPEN! POD archives for March at
<http://bit.ly/A0vWNr> - click on "Subject" in
the header and scroll down - was initiated by
POD's James Morrison (2012) who wrote:

.

"Just in case you didn't catch Sixty Minutes last
night, their feature titled 'Kahn Academy: The
Future of Education' was a great depiction of an
innovative disruption, now applied to the
sciences, but with a prospect of expanding to
other disciplines, K-16."

.

POD's Alan Bender (2012 responded (slightly edited):

.

". . . . .A month ago, there was a presentation
on our campus about efforts to develop
sophisticated online tutorials for various
introductory college courses. That initiative
is called "Multi-institutional Cognitive
Coursewares Design" [APLU (2012) at
<http://bit.ly/wIUPGh>]. The folks who are
working to get that initiative off the ground are
hoping for universities to develop such courses
rather than to wait for textbook publishers and
other companies to do so (and to end up
controlling the whole process)."

.

An interview of Salman Kahn, creator of the Kahn
Academy, by Lesli Maxwell (2012) of "Education
Week" is freely available at
<http://bit.ly/yAfKac>, and shows that Kahn is
only indirectly responsible for (a) the highly
publicized "flipped classroom" - see e.g., "How
'Flipping' the Classroom Can Improve the
Traditional Lecture" [Berrett (2012)] and (b) the
consequent race to develop tutorials for
introductory college courses.

.

In her interview, Maxwell asked: "Where did the
idea of the 'flipped classroom' come from?"

.

To which Kahn replied [bracketed by lines "KKKKK
. . . .", so as to avoid in most cases awkward
quotes within quotes " '.....' "]:

.

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

.

Very little of this did I think of myself. I also
want to emphasize that the flipped classroom is
not what we view as the ideal or the endpoint. We
view it almost as a transition state. But the
flipped classroom is ? essentially, early on, I
had these videos out there and teachers started
emailing me saying: "Hey, we flipped our
classroom. We used your video. Why should I, the
teacher, have to do that lecture anymore? I'm
having students watch it on their own time and
pace." In our mind, the reason why I say that's a
transition state is that it could still imply
that all the students are working through the
curriculum at the same pace.

.

We would say, instead of holding fixed the time
and date when you learn something and the
variable is how well you learn it, we're saying
let's hold fixed how well you learn it, and you
learn it at a deep level, and what's variable is
how long you have to learn it, and when you learn
it, and when you revisit the material."

.

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

.

That Kahn had little to do with the flipped
classroom idea is consistent with my comments
[Hake (2012)] on Berrett's (2012) Chronicle
report. I wrote (slightly edited):

.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

.

. . . not everyone uses "flipping" in the general
sense used by Berrett of "the inversion of
expectations in the traditional college
lecture." High-school physics teacher Frank
Noschese called my attention to a report "The
Flipped Class: Shedding light on the confusion,
critique, and hype" by Aaron Sams (2011). Sams
wrote: "The Khan Academy has shown up in the news
lately and many associate the Flipped Classroom
with the Khan Academy. While the Khan Academy
does represent a form of the Flipped Classroom,
it is not the only way this concept can be
implemented. . . . . When you read anything about
'The Flipped Classroom' mentally substitute 'a
class that uses screencasts as an instructional
tool' for 'The Flipped Classroom' and all will
be well."

.

In any case "Flipped Classrooms" has made it BIG
on the internet. A Google search for "Flipped
Classrooms" (with the quotes) yielded 33,300 hits
at <http://bit.ly/ACTnNt> on 24 Feb 2012
15:00-0800.. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

.

.

.

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References
which Recognize the Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to SDI Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
Academia: <http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>
Twitter <https://twitter.com/#!/rrhake>

.

.

.

"People have nowadays . . . got a strange opinion
that everything should be taught by lectures.
Now, I cannot see that lectures can do so much
good as reading the books from which the lectures
are taken. Lectures were once useful; but now,
when we can all read, and books are so numerous,
lectures are unnecessary. "
Samuel Johnson according to James Boswell
(1791) [Samuel Johnson doubtless rolls in his
grave at the thought
that in the 21st Century *videos* are evidently replacing *reading*.]

.

.

.

REFERENCES [All URL's shortened by
<http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 15 March 2012.]
APLU. "Multi-institutional Cognitive Coursewares
Design," Association of Public and Land-Grant
Universities," online at <http://bit.ly/wIUPGh>.

.

.

.

Bender, A. 2012. "Re: Khan Academy on Sixty
Minutes," online on the OPEN! POD archives at
<http://bit.ly/zBgGPv>. Post of 12 Mar 2012
19:36:01-0400 to POD.

.

Berrett, D. 2012. "How 'Flipping' the Classroom
Can Improve the Traditional Lecture" Chronicle of
Higher Education 19 Feb; online to subscrbers at
<http://bit.ly/xKYX8h>. A sequel "Lecture Fail?
Students and Professors Sound Off on the State of
the College Lecture" is freely available
(probably only for a few weeks) at
<http://bit.ly/yKy70D>.

.

Boswell, J. 1791. "Life of Samuel Johnson,
LL.D.", online at <http://bit.ly/qfDXPz>.

.

Hake, R.R. 2012. "Flipping the Classroom vs
Traditional Lecture," online at
<http://bit.ly/wYdWIl>. Post of 24 Feb 2012
19:51:14-0800 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The
abstract and link to the complete post were
transmitted to several discussion lists and are
also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at
<http://bit.ly/y83WAz> with a provision for
comments.

.

Morrison, J. 2012. "Khan Academy on Sixty
Minutes," online on the OPEN! POD archives at
<http://bit.ly/A8Iwcc>.

.

Sams, A. 2011. "The Flipped Class: Shedding light
on the confusion, critique, and hype," Daily
Riff, 11 November; online at
<http://bit.ly/xgWQsn>.

.

.