[net-gold] Bressoud's MAA Launchings piece "The Best Way to Learn"

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Other Net-Gold Lists -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports Tourism <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 12:27:42 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 14:06:23 -0700
From: Richard Hake <rrhake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: AERA-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Net-Gold] Bressoud's MAA Launchings piece "The Best Way to Learn"

.

Some subscribers to AERA-L and Net-Gold might be interested in David
Bressoud's (2011) latest MAA "Launchings" piece "The Best Way to
Learn."

.

Bressoud <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bressoud> is DeWitt
Wallace Professor of Mathematics at Macalester College in St. Paul,
Minnesota, and Past-President of the Mathematical Association of
America.

.

Bressoud's first paragraph is [bracketed by lines "BBBBB. . . . ";
slightly edited:

.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

.

Last month, in "The Worst Way to Teach" [Bressoud (2011a)], I wrote
about some of the problems with instruction delivered by lecture. It
stirred up a fair amount of discussion. Richard Hake (2011a) started
a thread on the MathForum. He added several references to my own list
and sparked a discussion that produced some heat and a lot of light.

.

I do want to clarify that I recognize how important what I say in
the classroom can be, as I will expound a bit later in this column.
Nevertheless, I stand by my statement that "sitting still, listening
to someone talk, and attempting to transcribe what they have said
into a notebook is a very poor substitute for actively engaging with
the material at hand, for doing mathematics."

.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

.

.

.

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

.

.

.
"The best way to learn is to do; the worst way to teach is to talk."
Halmos, Moise, & Piranian (1975), quoted by Bressoud (2011a,b)

.

"Some say that the only possible effect of the Moore method is to
produce research mathematicians, but I don't agree. The Moore method
is, I am convinced the right way to teach anything and everything. It
produces students who can understand and use what they have learned.
. . . . . There is an old Chinese proverb that I learned from Moore
himself: 'I hear, I forget; I see, I remember. I do, I understand.' "
Halmos (1988, p. 258)

.

.

.

REFERENCES [All URL's accessed on 1 August 2011; most are shortened
by <http://bit.ly/>.]

.

.

.

Bressoud, D. 2011a. " The Worst Way to Teach," in Launchings of 1
July; online at
<http://www.maa.org/columns/launchings/launchings_07_11.html> =
<http://bit.ly/nmJJpj >.

.

Bressoud, D. 2011b. "The Best Way to Learn," in Launchings of 1
August; online at
<http://launchings.blogspot.com/2011_08_01_archive.html> =
<http://bit.ly/qRHMCp>.

.

Hake, R.R. 2011a. "Re: Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence,"
online on the OPEN! MathEdCC archives at <http://bit.ly/r80W5i> along
with 11 responses as of 1 August 2011. Post of 15 July, shamelessly
cross-posted to Math-Teach, Math-Learn, MathEdCC, and RUME. See also
the subsequent posts Hake (2011b,c).

.

Hake, R.R. 2011b. "Re: Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence #2,"
online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/mXiXoh>. Post
of 20 Jul 2011 17:13:46-0400 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and
link to the complete post were transmitted to various discussion
lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at
<http://bit.ly/rr2BQU> with a provision for comments. See also the
precursor Hake (2011a).

.

Hake, R.R. 2011c. "Re: Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence #4,"
online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/oVqvml>. Post
of 22 Jul 2011 14:52:44 -0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract
and link to the complete post were transmitted to various discussion
lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at
<http://bit.ly/qC58LF> with a provision for comments.

.

Halmos, P.R., E.E. Moise, & G. Piranian. 1975. "The Problem of
Learning to Teach," The American Mathematical Monthly 82(5): 466-476;
the first page is online at <http://www.jstor.org/pss/2319737>.

.

Halmos, P.R. 1988. "I Want to Be a Mathematician: An Automathography
in Three Parts." Mathematical Association of America (MAA),
publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/pKtfrL>. Amazon.com
information at <http://amzn.to/oImPVB>.

.

.