[nepal-at-truman] sad but true

  • From: Anwesh Rijal <d2647@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nepal-at-truman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 03:59:02 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I apologize for the confusion I have created about the (to be help)
party during the upcoming 3 day weekend. Several people asked me why it
was cancelled, well I didn't have an answer then but I guess I do now.
And as a person who started all this, I feel responsible to give an
explanation of what I went through.

Myself, Pareej, Yadav, Nirajan, Sumit are graduating soon, and I am
sorry if you guys don't agree with me because I might speak on behalf
of all of us.

I came to Truman 3 years ago when there were only about 10-12 of us.
Everyone bonded and we got along jsut fine. We used to have parties at
our place and we danced to the only Nepali CD we had, I am sure
whoeever was there still knows all the songs by heart like I do.

But when there were more people, things were, there was no enthusiam or
the space big enough to fit everyone....... whatever.... but the bottom
line is I lived for 3 years of my life and now that I am leaving, I
have started to love this place.

Specially, this year, when so many great freshmen showed up, who had
all these desire to stay together and unite, we were really touched. I
tried to help as many people on a personal level as possible.......
specially being here all by myself during Freshman week, I was
answering the same questions again and again. So, I thought why could
we not have an organization that could help these new kids out, atleast
a website or something where anyone could add the info. once and
everyone could read about it.

But school started and things never worked out. The other day, I got an
email from Yankee (one of the first 2 nepali graduate from Truman) who
was asking me how things were going on in Truman. She gave me some
great tips about looking for a job after gradutation, and expressed a
desire to help anyone who seeked help. But too bad, we don't have a
framework.

So this semester, Pareej and me wanted to atleast start up a website or
an online forum so that we could keep in touch after graduation and
stay updated with what's going on here after we are gone. At the same
time be able to help others even after we left Kirksville. But we had
to register an organization to get a webspace.

We also found out that if we were registering, then we could probably
get some funding from FAC as an organization. But it was during break
and time was running out. So several of us met and wanted to get
started, with stuff like writing constitutions and getting signature
and approval. Biplaw, Neeta and Nilu did most of the stuff.

Nirmal and crew helped out with the logo and now we have a website. Its
still not official coz we don't have our own webspace, but it still
works.
http://www2.truman.edu/~d2645/NSA

Well that was my version of how it all started.

But this one day I heard rumors that people thought that we were doing
this to strenthen our resume and in fact don't give a shit about the
organization, I FELT REALLY BAD. I dont' know who said it and don't
want to know. But who ever said this might feel different, but when you
really want to do something from your heart and get bull shit instead
of appreciation, that really stinks.

Different people have different opinions, and that's fine. But if you
don't want to do things for yourself, please don't criticize others who
want to. I am sure you guys have heard the joke about how we Nepalese
pull each others leg... and nepal never progresses.....and what not.
Lets change that attitude.

If you can't do shit for others, the least you can do is SHUT UP and
let others do it.

And yes, we really wanted to throw a party this weekend, it was going
to be  our (Pareej and mine) graduation treat.  We were planning to
bear all the costs and you wouldn't even have to pay, but things didn't
work out and it sucks. So, as far as I am concerned the party is
cancelled and I apologize.

But the doors are not closed yet. Biplaw was really excited about it,
and so were lots of other people, and we might be gone next semester,
but I would be more than happy if someone else would take the
initiative. Hell, I would even help but as of this semester, I am done.

Thank you for reading.
Anwesh

P.S. I know there were series of email picking on each other last year
during the voting of I-club, and I don't want to start that but I had
to let go of(f) my fraustrations. But if you guys have an opinion, we
have a disscussion board and it wouldn't trouble anyone who doesn't
care about this stuff.

anwesh@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: (660)785-5439