[needs assessment listserv] Amer. Eval. Association TIG -- planning for 2016

  • From: Ryan Watkins <rwatkins@xxxxxxx>
  • To: needsassessment@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 15:18:38 -0500

Back in November the Needs Assessment Topic Interest Group
<http://comm.eval.org/needsassessment/home> (or TIG) of the American Evaluation
Association (AEA) <http://www.eval.org/> met during the annual evaluation
conference. Though I was not able to attend this year, I was excited to hear
that the TIG has decided that the conference theme for 2016 will be
"Integrating perspectives: needs assessment and assets capacity building.
While presentations related to other aspects of needs assessment will be
considered, the TIG will give preference to those conference proposals that
examine both the deficits and strengths in needs assessments when it comes to
balancing the two perspectives.

The TIG is also looking for volunteers to help organize one or more expert
panels to discuss the integration of deficit and asset approaches to needs
assessment. If you are interested, please email either Sonya
(sonya.hung@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:sonya.hung@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>) or me.

In 2016 the TIG will also be sponsoring a week of AEA365 blog postings (see
previous blogs: http://aea365.org/blog/?s=needs+assessment&submit=Go
<http://aea365.org/blog/?s=needs+assessment&submit=Go>). If you are interested
in writing a short blog posting please let Maurya (Mwestmeiers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
know soon. The blog postings are short and focus on practical tools and
experience.

If you are not an AEA member, but are curious, we will of course be happy to
share all the presentations and any recordings after the conference next year.

Lastly, my interdisciplinary “what are needs” project has collected an
excellent set of readings on needs from varied disciplinary perspectives. If
you have not checked it out, you can find copies of all the articles at:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatareneeds/file-cabinet
<https://sites.google.com/site/whatareneeds/file-cabinet>

Ryan

Ryan Watkins, Ph.D.