IN THIS ISSUE: 01. Reference Desk 02. Word Detective 03. Eliza 04. Time Cave 05. WayBack Machine 06. Personality Tests 07. Language IdentifierA few "golden oldies" from the 8,000-tip archives of Neat Net Tricks. Enjoy!
01. REFERENCE DESK. Tons of information at http://www.refdesk.com/facts.html where you can choose topics from Atlas - Maps, Biography / Who’s Who, Dictionaries, Electronic Texts, Encyclopedias, Genealogy, Government, History, Internet, Law, Libraries, Miscellaneous, Phone Book, Population, Postal, Science, Thesaurus, Time - Date, Weights - Measurements, World Religions, and WWW Virtual Library. Worth bookmarking!
02. WORD DETECTIVE. If you love words or wonder how some of our language came into being, you’ll enjoy http://www.word-detective.com/ .
03. ELIZA. In the old Eliza program, our first experience with a bit of artificial intelligence, we asked whatever questions we would like and Eliza more or less(?) responded. She's back, at http://www-ai.ijs.si/eliza-cgi-bin/eliza_script .
04. TIME CAVE. A free service at http://www.timecave.com/ allows you to compose email and program a future time and date for sending it. You can use the service to send reminders to yourself as well.
* * * * *Coming up in the next issues of Neat Net Tricks Premium, these interesting and timely articles:
*Issue 272 (end September) "Mailbag". Always interesting reader comments;*Issue 273 (mid October) "When a Smart Phone Isn't Smart" (They'll sell you out if you aren't the smart one; *Issue 274 (end October) "Smile. You're Geotagged!" (There are hidden dangers in your photos);
*Issue 275 (mid November "Waxing Nostalgic." (The good old days?);*Issue 276 end November "Technology At What Price?" Are we throwing the baby out with the bathwater?; *Issue 277 mid December) "Advertising For The Heck Of It." Why do you think Microsoft spends so much money to advertise a free browser?; *Issue 278 end December "Migrating to Windows 7 - Part I. Getting better mileage from Windows 7 with these useful and easy tips.); and, *Issue 279 mid January "Migrating to Windows 7 - Part II. (Getting better mileage from Windows 7 with these useful and easy tips.)
These and 16 more issues (total of 24) over the next year as just a part of your Premium subscription for just $12 at the NNT Store, http://www.NeatNetTricks.com/store .
* * * * *05. WAYBACK MACHINE. The Internet Archive Wayback Machine has archived 10+ billion pages of Web content dating all the way back to the "good old days" of 1996. If you'd like to see how your Web site or some other Web site looked in the earlier years of the Internet, they are only a couple of clicks away at http://www.archive.org/index.html .
06. PERSONALITY TESTS. Discover yourself with the large database of resources and personality tests at http://www.spods.net/personality . This is a free service and if you choose to register (also free) you get more access to the features provided, including the ability to save test results and compare them with later ones.
07. LANGUAGE IDENTIFIER. There are many services on the Internet that will make a modest attempt to interpret various languages; but, the Lextek Language Identifier at http://www.lextek.com/langid/li/ identifies the language from a long list, promises to add more, and. in fact, even add a custom language model if you need it. Simply copy and paste the language in the text window for quick identification. The program is a free download.
===============Neat Net Tricks is copyrighted, 2012, all rights reserved. You may quote or forward copies of this email with credit to " Neat Net Tricks, http://www.NeatNetTricks.com ". Neat Net Tricks is registered with the U.S. Library of Congress, ISSN: 1553-4619.
Neat Net Tricks makes no endorsement or warranty, express or implied, with regard to featured products or services. Results may vary based on operating systems and other variables beyond our control. View back issues at http://www.freelists.org/archive/neatnettricks/ .There is no cost to subscribe. To subscribe or unsubscribe, visit http://www.neatnettricks.com/subscribe .
Subscribe to Neat Net Tricks Premium at http://www.neatnettricks.com/store and enjoy many more graphics-rich and ad-free tips, features, and full-length articles for your Web surfing and computing pleasure! ===============