IN THIS ISSUE: 01. ThankUZ 02. SpamBayes 03. Doro 04. ShortText.com 05. Email Address Verifier 06. Screencast-O-Matic 07. Snaplr 08. WInScan2PDF 09. MultiCommander01. THANKUZ. Create thank you notes using personalized handwritten fonts and themes, attach photos, and send them through email, Facebook, Twitter, etc., at http://thankuz.com/ .
02. SPAMBAYES is a spam filter that attempts to classify incoming email messages by calculating probabilities, different words, differences in mailer headers and content style, based on the training by each individual user. Download free at http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/.
03. DORO creates PDF documents from within Microsoft Word, adds colored pictures, and encrypts the document if desired with 128-bit password protection. Its user interface is available in several languages and it generally works with just about any operating system since Windows 95. Download free at http://thesz.diecru.eu/content/doro.php .
04. EMAIL ADDRESS VERIFIER AT http://www.verifyemailaddress.org/ is useful in determining whether an email address is valid. Beyond that, the reverse email search tool is a waste of time and returns the city/state of one's ISP and further offers to give more information for a fee. Buyer beware!
* * * *What will $12 buy you? The latest issue of Neat Net Tricks Premium and 23 more issues over the next year, that's what! And here's a brief summary of what you'll find in just the latest issue: A program that determines whether your system can run products and recommends what you need to do the job; a replacement for Windows Explorer that displays side-by-side views; an advanced personal finance manager that runs on any system; an application that locates files and folders instantly; a portable app that securely erases your files so they can't be recovered; one that detects what process or program is currently misbehaving in your computer; a lightweight and user-friendly email client; a comprehensive scheduler/calendar tool; a program that finds and deletes invalid targets; one that enlarges your clipboard's capacity and lets you organize and preview its content; a way to remove 98% of spam before it reaches your email inbox; an application that offers five data recovery modules for damaged disks, partitions, media, and CD/DVD; another that scans your computer and downloads needed update versions of popular applications; and more, including interesting Web sites to visit, mini-reviews, and our columnist's rant about Microsoft's antitrust history and federal bail out.
Does that sound like 50 cents' worth? Then if you're not currently a Premium subscriber, grab your plastic or PayPal and head for the NNT Store, http://www.neatnettricks.com/store .
* * * *05. SHORTTEXT.COM at http://shorttext.com/default.aspx lets you post text online without signups, and these posts can be made public or private, in rich text if desired, and linked to images or videos. Comments can be added if allowed.
06. SCREENCAST-O-MATIC records what's on your screen from your browser in Windows, Mac, or Linux. The free version uploads to You Tube, exports to MP4, AVI, or FLV movie, and records Web camera. The paid version removes the watermark and time limits and adds password protection, editing and scripts tool, and advanced recorder controls. Download free at http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/ .
07. SNAPLR is a simple way to capture and annotate a screenshot of your desktop. It currently works with Vista and Win 7 and promises a Mac OSX version soon. Download free at http://vessenger.com/snaplr .
08. WINSCAN2PDF. Scan documents with any installed scanner and save them as a PDF document. Download free at http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/WinScan2PDF .
09. MULTICOMMANDER does what Windows Explorer does, only more. It's a multi-tabbed file manager that provides dual panes and additional advanced features such as auto-unpacking, auto-sorting, browse inside archives, scripting, searching, and more. Download free at http://multicommander.com/ .
* * * *I continue to receive flattering comments about our Software Reviews. If you're unaware of this part of Neat Net Tricks, check it out at http://www.neatnettricks.com/SoftwareReviews/splash.htm. Our NNT Software Review Panel is a team of volunteers who explore products in depth and provide a detailed report to assist readers in determining whether a program will be of value to them. Our Reviewers serve without compensation except for
-> The registered full-feature software they work with in preparing their report;
-> Other complimentary software from time to time; -> A complimentary subscription to NNT Premium; and-> Satisfaction that their comments are widely read and respected; and, in fact, often encourage software providers to improve their product.
Why am I telling you this? Well, a position currently exists on the NNT Software Review Panel. If you'd like to join us, send a summary of why you feel you would qualify to jteems@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx . We aren't necessarily looking for experts, but those who will be most favorably considered will have well-rounded experience in computers and the Internet (home and/or business), a desire to work with new and innovative software, and a willingness to "tell it like it is" and benefit our readers with their experience.
* * * * ===============Neat Net Tricks is copyrighted, 2011, all rights reserved. You may quote or forward copies of this email with credit to " Neat Net Tricks, http://www.NeatNetTricks.com ". Neat Net Tricks is registered with the U.S. Library of Congress, ISSN: 1553-4619.
View back issues at http://www.freelists.org/archive/neatnettricks/ .There is no cost to subscribe. To subscribe or unsubscribe, visit http://www.neatnettricks.com/subscribe .
Subscribe to Neat Net Tricks Premium at http://www.neatnettricks.com/store and enjoy many more graphics-rich and ad-free tips, features, and full-length articles for your Web surfing and computing pleasure! ===============