Since March I've been publishing nearly daily computer/Internet snippets on the Neat Net Tricks Blog. You'll find these tidbits at http://www.neatnettricks.com/blog/ and if they spark your interest, feel free to jump into the discussion.
IN THIS ISSUE: 01. FreeOtfe 02. Caderno 03. QT Web Browser 04. Emurse 05. Google's Safe Browsing Diagnostic Tool 06. Photomesa 07. MWSnap 08. Bakamatsu Koshashin Generator 09. Wallpaper01. FREEOTFE is a free, open source, "on-the-fly" transparent disk encryption program for PCs and PDAs. Using this software, you can create one or more "virtual disks" on your PC/PDA. These disks operate exactly like a normal disk, with the exception that anything written to one of them is transparently, and securely, encrypted before being stored on your computer's hard drive. Download at http://freeotfe.org/index.html .
02. CADERNO. If you're looking for something a little more than Notepad as a text editor, you might try Caderno, a free download at http://freddy1990.com/index.php?page=product&name=caderno . It provides all of Notepad's features but emulates Firefox with tabs, search/replace/go-to line bars, crash recover, unicode support, update notification, syntax highlighting, and session management.
03. QT WEB BROWSER. Featuring mouse gesture support, AdBlock support, resizable search and address bar, zoom text only option to view, and more in just its latest update, Qt Web Browser is a lightweight, secure, and portable browser you might want to try. Download free at http://www.qtweb.net/ .
04. EMURSE at http://www.emurse.com/?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl6|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.emurse.com%2F allows you create, share, and store your resume online free if you're looking for a job (and, these days, isn't everyone?)
05. GOOGLE'S SAFE BROWSING DIAGNOSTIC TOOL. Enter in your browser address bar any Web site URL immediately following http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site= and Google returns a report with security information about that site.
06. PHOTOMESA is a zoomable image browser. It allows the user to view multiple directories of images at once, and uses simple navigation commands to smoothly zoom in and out. It requires only images on disk, and does not require any annotation, importing to a database, or other organization. Download free at http://www.windsorinterfaces.com/photomesa.shtml .
07. MWSNAP captures images from selected parts of the screen. This can be the whole desktop, a highlighted window, an active menu, a control, or a fixed or free rectangular part of the screen. MWSnap handles 5 most popular graphics formats and contains several graphical tools: a zoom, a ruler, a color picker and a window spy. It can be also used as a fast picture viewer or converter. I does not require installation and does not need any special dlls, drivers or system files. Download free at http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html .
08. BAKUMATSU KOSHASHIN GENERATOR returns your photos to the "good old days". At http://labs.wanokoto.jp/olds , browse to the image of your choice, click "Convert", and the photo looks like its 100-150 years old. Don't forget to click English in the upper right corner (assuming that's your language).
09. WALLPAPER. At http://bighugelabs.com/wallpaper.php you can convert any photo into a perfectly-sized desktop wallpaper for your computer or portable device that even includes a monthly calendar. Add special effects to desaturate, blur, or color your wallpaper. Standard and wide-screen monitors, iPhones, cell phones, and other portable devices are supported.
===============Neat Net Tricks is copyrighted, 2009, all rights reserved. You may quote or forward copies of this email with credit to "Neat Net Tricks, http://www.NeatNetTricks.com ". Neat Net Tricks is registered with the U.S. Library of Congress, ISSN: 1553-4619. There is no cost to subscribe. To subscribe or unsubscribe, visit: http://www.neatnettricks.com/subscribe .