IN THIS ISSUE: 01. Webswoon 02. Password Prime 03. Hunch 04. Fast Duplicate File Finder 05. After The Deadline 06. Spezify 07. Mortgage/Refinance Canculator 08. Infrarecorder 09. Yomyam 10. Clickoff 11. TimesUpKidzI appreciate Blogspot having hosted the Neat Net Tricks Blog these past six months, but a move to a new location logically places the blog on the same server hosting the NNT Web site and its affiliated enterprises.
I also appreciate everyone's past participation on the blog since your comments make it much more interesting and useful to everyone. Don't be a stranger! Come and visit me at my new blog: http://www.alcenia.com/webswoon/ .
02. PASSWORD PRIME saves all usernames, passwords, and the locations where they are used in an encrypted and secure format that is itself password protected so you need remember only one password. It works with Windows 9x/MR/2000/XP/Vista and is a free download at http://www.oversightcorp.com/freeware/password.php .
03. HUNCH at http://www.hunch.com helps you make decisions. In 10 questions or less, Hunch will offer you a solution to your problem, concern or dilemma, on hundreds of topics. Hunch's answers are based on the collective knowledge of the entire Hunch community and it's designed so that every time it's used, it learns something new. That means Hunch's hunches are always getting better.
04. FAST DUPLICATE FILE FINDER will help you find all duplicate files in a folder and its sub folders. The applications will compare the content of your files so it will find duplicates even if they are using different file names. It uses a fast binary comparison algorithm and has internal preview supporting a lot of image, video, music and text file formats. Download free at http://www.mindgems.com/products/Fast-Duplicate-File-Finder/Fast-Duplicate-File-Finder-About.htm .
PLAY CATCHUP. If you're missing one or more issues in Neat Net Tricks' 14-year history (and who isn't?) the best way to get it all is with the NNT ArchivesExpress on CD. We're not talking skimpy: the latest CD has nearly 4,300 items in Word, WordPerfect, Text, and EBook (PDF) format along with some other special audio tracks of NNT. If printed out (but why would you?) you'd need nearly a ream of paper (438 pages in 10-point font). It's delivered postpaid to your door. All this for as little as $14 at the NNT Store, http://www.neatnettricks.com/store .
05. AFTER THE DEADLINE. Just paste any document into the online box and this free service at http://www.polishmywriting.com/ will identify spelling errors and grammar/style suggestions to improve your writing.
06. SPEZIFY. Ready for yet another unusual search engine? Spezify at http://www.spezify.com/ compiles a page of everything found for a particular search term, including blogs, videos, images, and more. The results are unusual to say the least; for example, search on Neat Net Tricks to see what I mean. I don't see the correlation of some of the material, but it's interesting nonetheless.
07. MORTGAGE/REFINANCE CALCULATOR at http://www.mookal.com is a handy tool to determine loan amortization, financial analysis, comparisons, and other data you'll find useful in calculating mortgages and refinancing.
08. INFRARECORDER is a CD/DVD burning solution for Microsoft Windows. It offers a wide range of powerful features; all through an easy to use application interface and Windows Explorer integration. Download free at http://infrarecorder.org/ .
Just to clarify, some readers have asked why they continue to receive this Standard (free) version of Neat Net Tricks after they have subscribed to the Premium (paid) version. Those are two entirely different publications, and none of the tips are repeated between the two versions. Premium, for a low $12 a year, offers 24 issues with greatly expanded material: more tips, special features, technical advice, graphics, contest giveaways, and more. If you're not subscribed to the Premium version and want to see what you're missing, just email me and I'll fix you up with the latest issue at no cost or obligation. The address is jteemsATneatnettricks.com (replace the AT with @ in your email.)
09. YOMYAM, free at http://www.yomyam.com , lets you sign in with your Google account and then access your bookmarks from any computer.
10. CLICKOFF. If you're bugged by those incessant "Are you sure?" messages, ClickOff at http://www.johanneshuebner.com/en/clickoff.shtml gets rid of them for you.
11. TIMESUPKIDZ. We wrote about this handy program in the latest NNT Special Report, "Are Your Kids On The Computer Too Much?" at http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs065/1101458487892/archive/1102671350105.html . If your kids, or someone's you know, spend entirely too much time on that electronic beast, you really should read that report.
===============Neat Net Tricks is copyrighted, 2009, all rights reserved. You may quote or forward copies of this email with credit to "Neat Net Tricks, http://www.NeatNetTricks.com ". Neat Net Tricks is registered with the U.S. Library of Congress, ISSN: 1553-4619. There is no cost to subscribe. To subscribe or unsubscribe, visit: http://www.neatnettricks.com/subscribe .