IN THIS ISSUE: 01. WinContig 02. TextCrawler 03. Dynastree 04. Password Gorilla 05. SSuite Office 06. Reach-A-Mail 07. Tiny USB Office 08. Copy Paste Character 09. Warranty Elephant01. WINCONTIG is an easy-to-use stand-alone defragmentation tool that doesn't create any installation directories or Registry entries on your computer. Its purpose is to quick defrag files without the need to defrag the whole disk. In addition, WinContig allows you to group files into profiles, and also it accepts a number of optional command-line switches that you can use to control how the program operates. Download free at http://wincontig.mdtzone.it/en/index.htm .
02. TEXTCRAWLER enables you to instantly find and replace words and phrases across multiple files and folders and create sophisticated searches, perform batch operations, extract text from files and more. Download free at http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/content/textcrawler .
03. DYNASTREE. NNT featured a number of genealogy programs recently, and this is an additional one you might want to consider. The Home Edition is a free download at http://www.dynastree.com/infocentre/home-edition . With it, you can create, backup, edit, and share your family tree online. It supports GEDCOM import and CSV Files as well as export to GEDCOM, XML and CSV. The entire family data can be searched with a full-text search, a print preview of all dialogs and further internet links are available.
04. PASSWORD GORILLA, yet another password manager, works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, BSD, etc., and is free open source software at http://www.fpx.de/fp/Software/Gorilla/ .
* * * * *Are your kids spending too much time on the computer, or do you know some who are? Chances are there are inevitable arguments because they would prefer to play computer games when they should be doing their homework or chores, or playing outside and getting much-needed exercise. If this sounds familiar, you might be interested in the latest NNT Special Report, "Are Your Kids On The Computer Too Much?" at http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs065/1101458487892/archive/1102671350105.html .
* * * * *05. SSUITE OFFICE. Here's your chance to replace Microsoft Office with its hefty price tag. SSuite Office runs on all Windows Operating Systems and has more than 30 very useful applications. Download free at http://ssuite5element.webs.com/thefifthelement.htm .
06. REACH-A-MAIL installs on a USB flash memory sticks and lets you store your address book and important correspondence. While on the go, you just plug the stick into a Windows PC and have immediate access to your email and address book with no installation required. Download free at http://www.smartpctools.com/portable_email/index1.html .
07. TINY USB OFFICE at http://xtort.net/office-and-productivity/floppy-office/ is a collection of standalone free software applications. You can create and share files, spreadsheets, databases, emails, etc. across multiple computers and it requires under 2.5 MB of space.
08. COPY PASTE CHARACTER. Sometimes you need to insert a special character (copyright mark ©, currency symbol, etc.) in your email message or a blog post online. Simply go to http://www.copypastecharacter.com/ , select the character or symbol you need, click on it to copy it to your Clipboard, then paste it to your text.
* * * *Not subscribed to NNT Premium? Want to see what you're missing? Email me at jteemsATneatnettricks.com (replace "AT" with "@") for a free pass to view the current issue on line without obligation.
* * * *09. WARRANTY ELEPHANT at https://www.warrantyelephant.com/html/howitworks.html is a free service that fills the gap for many of us. When you buy a product, enter the warranty information including telephone numbers and product serial numbers, and even upload a copy of the warranty. Warranty Service then emails you a reminder at 6 months, one month, and one week before the warranty expires so that you can make sure your product is in good working order.
===============Neat Net Tricks is copyrighted, 2009, all rights reserved. You may quote or forward copies of this email with credit to "Neat Net Tricks, http://www.NeatNetTricks.com ". Neat Net Tricks is registered with the U.S. Library of Congress, ISSN: 1553-4619. There is no cost to subscribe. To subscribe or unsubscribe, visit: http://www.neatnettricks.com/subscribe .