=============== We never send unsolicited email and you are receiving Neat Net Tricks because you (or someone at your computer) subscribed to it. If you do not desire to receive this publication, see the footnote to unsubscribe. ===============This issue is devoted to ways to manage, edit, store, and share photos and other images. Now, I know these programs don't have the bells and whistles that you can get for several hundred dollars from PhotoShop and its expensive cousins; but, this issue comes just in time to familiarize yourself with several free programs so that you'll be able to better work with all those holiday photos you'll be snapping with your digital camera. Nothing irks me more (well, maybe it's a close second to political ads) than someone sending me Aunt Sally's 3 MB unoptimized portrait and all I can see at first glance is the pimple on her nose.
On a side note, I'm thinking that future NNT Standard issues might be devoted to one-topic-per-issue, just as this one is to imagery. If there's a specific topic you'd like to see discussed, let me know. You can email me at jteems@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (if you're reading this from the archive and the email address is obscured, that's simply "neatnettricks.com" where you see the "xxxx".)
And on the other subject of upcoming holidays, have you given a thought to your shopping list? How about a whole year's worth of Neat Net Tricks Premium (24 issues) PLUS a CD containing all previously published items -- nearly 4,000 of them -- as well as several full-length sound bites of past Neat Net Tricks radio shows PLUS a full-color greeting card acknowledging your gift, all for a piddly $22? I know money's tight this year, but this is a good way to let your computing friends know you care about them, 24 times this next year. If they are already NNT Premium subscribers, their subscription will be extended a year and they'll still get the CD and catch up on everything that has happened in 13 years. Simply go to the NNT store at http://www.NeatNetTricks.com/store and order the NNT package, as many as you like, and email me with your friends' names and addresses. I'll do the rest, wherever they live in this world. (By the way, there's nothing that says you can't put yourself on your shopping list as well.)
Regards, Jack * * * * *01. DRPIC.COM is an online picture editor (which means you don't have to download it. Upload an image from your computer or camera, modify it with special effects, then save it to disk or the Web, at http://www.drpic.com/ .
02. PHOTOWIPE. The Web site says it best: PhotoWipe is a revolutionary image processing tool that magically removes unwanted objects from your photos. Just paint over them in black, and click go! Uncovers hidden details in your photos. Sit back and watch as cage bars disappear from the zoo, and your old girlfriend or boyfriend fades away. It removes wrinkles, or it can remove entire facial features. Download free at http://www.hanovsolutions.com/index.php?prod=PhotoWipe .
03. QUICKSIZE at http://www.soquelsoft.com/QuickSize.html is a quick and easy way to resize photos and a good idea before posting them on the Web, in blogs, on forums, or in email.
04. SMUSH IT says: Smushit.com is a service that goes beyond the limitations of Photoshop, Fireworks & Co. It uses image format specific non-lossy image optimization tools to squeeze the last bytes out of your images - without changing their look or visual quality. You'll get a report of how many bytes you can save by optimizing your images and all the changed images as a single zip for download. More details at http://smushit.com .
* * * * *If you missed that report on a really neat screen capture utility, you can see it here at http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs065/1101458487892/archive/1102289176479.html . And you have just a few days remaining to take advantage of the 20% savings.
* * * * *05. ARTWEAVER provides artistic effects and allows you to create sketches from photos and experiment with a wide range of brushes. It provides standard image editing tools such as gradient, crop, fill, and selection; transparent and layers support; filters such as sharpen, blur, emboss, and mosaic; and it supports common file formats and language files. Download free at http://picturegirdle.com/ .
07. PHOENIX at http://a.viary.com/tools/phoenix is an image editor that runs right in your browser. From basic image retouching to complex effects, Phoenix delivers the key features of a desktop image editor with the simplicity and accessibility of a Web-based application.
08. SHRINK PIC at http://www.onthegosoft.com automatically detects when you send photos by email, instant messenger or Web browser and compresses them for you, for free.
09. MEMEO SHARE delivers your photos directly to your friends' and family's computer desktop. Sharing is done with a simple drag-and-drop and up to 1GB can be shared free at http://www.memeo.com/memeoshare.php .
10. MONTAGRAPH at http://www.montagraph.com/Views/Main.aspx is a platform to make and share your photo images. With its image editing tools you can create your own templates or use someone else's templates.
===============Neat Net Tricks is copyrighted, 2008, all rights reserved. You may quote or forward copies of this email with credit to "Neat Net Tricks, http://www.NeatNetTricks.com ". Neat Net Tricks is registered with the U.S. Library of Congress, ISSN: 1553-4619.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, visit: http://www.neatnettricks.com/subscribe . ===============