[USS Vanguard] "Why did Sam leave the Vanguard?" 2/3

  • From: Alexander Keenan <alexander.keenan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 01:07:48 +0000 (GMT)

Lt. Sam McCaw
USS Vanguard
Rebirth?

?. . .?

?Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!?

?Stop??

?Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!?

?STOP!?

? . . . ?

That time is precious. That moment of awareness before the alarm goes off. A
moments silence: not sleeping, waiting to awake. Not thinking: waiting for the
first thoughts of the day to come clamouring in. Sam cherished that moment. But
today?s had passed.

Sam?s eyes slid reluctantly into focus on his PADD while his left hand fumbled
instinctively for the Raktajino that sat ready in the replcator.

?Nacelle maintenance cycle renews today?  Check output schematics for last
engagement ? Finish report on power spiking in the impulse drives ? The Romulan
computer code integration problem ?? and he was out of the door heading for
engineering.

Sam wandered through engineering to a computer console and called up the
Romulan code sections that were giving him trouble. After about an hour he
dimly became aware of a presence behind him.

?Sam??

 ?Sam?SAM!?

Sam span round in a panic, ?What! What? ? oh it?s you Jaav? The ship?s
councillor smiled faintly, ?Yes. Last time I checked.? There was a pause, Sam
shifted in his seat ?So..??
?So, you missed your appointment with me this morning, I wanted to make sure
that was intentional.?
Sam frowned ?I didn?t make an appointment with you.?
Jaav gave a little sigh, ?Of course you didn?t Sam, you never would, but you
did have one and I?m free now so how about it??
Sam looked extremely uncomfortable for a moment, he could smell a big rat here
and was pretty sure that the rat in question had four pips on his collar and a
predilection for late night scotch. But whoever had booked his appointment was
right, he did have things on his mind ?How about a walk instead?? The
councillor nodded,
?That?s fine by me, are we going to the holodeck??
Sam chuckled, ?Why to people always associate me with the holodeck??
?Because you spend all your free time there??
Sam held his hands up in despair ?Spare time, yeah?? At this point Jaav stopped
walking.
?Look Sam, if I know anything about you it?s that you like things straight up,
and you?re not stupid. So you?ll know that I looked over your record before I
came down here and I should tell you I?m pretty sure it?s your time.?

<snip: Bio of Lt.Sam McCaw, (this is the original circa USS Astoria, and will
be updated soon, honest!)>

?McCaw is part Boer and for cultural reasons, will require a three-month
sabbatical every seventh year.?

Ooc: I knew that?d come in handy some time ? ;)

<end snip>

Sam was immediately on guard, ?Councillor I don?t think you?re qualified to
make that call, I am mostly human you know? Jaav had anticipated this. ?Really?
What?s with all the time you?ve spend in Stellar Cartography lately? They tell
me you?re looking at some pretty odd star charts, and the drinking? You haven?t
been in the bar for weeks, it just isnt like you. What are you afraid of??
?Nothing!? Sam?s eyes flashed for a moment before he regained his composure.
?Nothing? look I need to have a word with the Captain, thanks for your time
Jaav.? With that Sam headed quickly in the direction of the nearest turbolift
leaving the councillor standing in the corridor. He felt uncomfortable with the
unconventional approach he?d had to take with Sam, he would never normally have
been so pushy, but in this case it appeared, he?d got the desired result. His
only regret was that they hadnt discussed Qbed, but then Sam didnt talk about
that to anybody...

Three days later Sam stood in the shuttle bay, facing his Captain, a rucksack
slung over his shoulder. It was late, and no one else was around, Santos didn?t
say anything, he just handed Sam a small silver flask and put a hand on his
shoulder. ?I?ll see you soon, look after my shuttle.? Sam grinned
mischievously,
?When have I ever not looked after a shuttlecraft?? Santos bit his toungue, but
gracefully let it pass, so without another word Sam walked up the shuttle?s
ramp and began preparing for take off. Santos looked on with heavy heart. He
know all about the Boerian Bottataokka, and he knew all about how difficult Sam
had found his relationship with Qbed, it?s tough being besotted with someone
when you mother?s race only mate for ?one season?. He also knew who Sam?s
father was, though he had never let this on to Sam, and he was pretty sure that
the old  boy would not be happy about this. But most of all, he knew it was
right to let Sam go.

End

ooc: Those among you with elephant like memory will notice the conspicuous
absence of Qbed from this post. She was/is a big feature in Sam's life and
there's a good reason why she couldnt find him when he left. HOWEVER I'm out of
touch with Randi (who plays/played Qbed) so am leaving a question mark over
that until I hear from her.  If you ARE her (or anyone else for that matter)
then email me! Also I havent covered individual goodbyes, as the post was
getting pretty lengthy and I wasnt precisely sure who was here and I'm not sure
of the relevance so much later on (but feel totally free to play) and also Sam
was pretty cagey about it.

Toodles

:) Alec

alexander.keenan @ keble.ox.ac.uk