[USS Vanguard] Re: [USS Vanguard]: Exploring

  • From: "amills" <amills@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:18:00 -0600

Location: The Grand Canyon
Arizona, Earth
LT jg Ceelac Nostgrova

"Aaaaaahhhhh," yelled Ceelac as she bounced once more down the trail into
the Grand Canyon. "Why do we ride on this horribly rough animals?"

The guide chewed on his tobacco, apparently not outlawed in the national
park, and continued on his way. "I told yer, Miss, this is the only way down
into the canyon."

"Transporters?" she asked, as she shifted to find a more comfortable place
for her behind.

"The mules is the only way," the guide replied. "We don't hold for those new
fangled contraptions."

Ceelak rolled her eyes and endured. The scenery was breath-taking,
especially when her mule almost stepped off the edge. The weather as
promised was balmy - it was 110 degrees and Ceelak hated to sweat.

The mules came to a halt at the bottom, stopping under a tree. Ceelak
climbed off. She tossed her long hair over her shoulder and glared at the

"Thar you be, Miss," he said. "Jest like I promised. You're here. Jest look
around and you can ride back up on two hours."

"And what's that?" Ceelak asked pointing toward a transport that was
disembarking its passengers who looked rested and cool.

"That's the competition, Miss," he said. "Didn't think you'd be interested
you wanting to get to know the Earth better and all."

Ceelak looked around and saw no one watching. She took two steps closer to
the guide, changed into her male form and hit him squarely on the jaw
knocking him off the mule in a cloud of dust.

"Indeed," Ceelak said. He walked away, content.

Two hours later, Ceelak was sitting on a rock surrounded by six teenage
female Earth tourists who were sharing their lunches with him. They were on
a college trip. So far they'd told him all kinds of stories about college
life and their travels. They'd gone swimming in a somewhat warm spring, had
toured an Indian village and had bought souveniers.

"You are going to the dance tonight at the lodge, aren't you?" they asked.

Ceelak looked up and caught the eye of their teacher, Virginia Treacher. "I
wouldn't miss it for the world," he said.

With a grin, Ceelak and Virginia watched as the girls headed toward the
transport. Ceelak offered her his arm. The girls giggled and Miss Treacher
smiled shyly. Things were looking up at the Grand Canyon.