[USS Vanguard] To cut or not to cut

  • From: "Alexa Bauer" <bykovbauer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 00:14:27 -0500

Thanks for the lead in Mel. It helps a lot ;) I will be on vacation from
July 28 - Aug 4 so I will not be posting.

Xristha stepped forward "Doctor, we need your help and we have an hour at
the most to save him, is there ANYTHING we can do to stabilize Levva and the

Rehnol pulled herself together "no, there is no other option than to
separate the two, the chemical imbalance is too great they reject each

Xristha frowned "but can they survive without each other?"

Rehnol shook her head "There is a 50/50 chance for both of them, the host
can live without the symbiont, but if the symbiont survives it needs a new
host within 72 hours, it's a major operation, there is no guarantee of

All eyes rested on Xristha, the decision was hers...

<end snip>

Xristha paused for only a few seconds. Ironically those seconds seemed to
last forever. "I will need a few moments to determine my next course of
action." She surprised her fellow crew with her non-impulsive reaction.

Zena nodded reassuringly and moved over the unconscious patient.

The Bandi doctor walked into her office and sat in her chair. "Computer,
pull up information on the Trill."

Her wall screen shifted from the medical insignia to a database. The
computer screen was factual.

"Trill. A race consisting of two sentient species, one humanoid and the
other a small invertebrate. An environmental disaster in the distant past
lead to the integration of the two species into a host-symbiont
relationship. The symbiotic invertebrates live for centuries and are far
outnumbered by the humanoids leading to a formal selection process for
Joining. The joined Trill can call upon the memories and experiences from
the entire life of the symbiont and so are generally very wise and often use
their skills for Diplomacy and the advanced Sciences. The Trill have a
unified government and are a prominent member of the UFP."

Xristha was keenly interested in the Trill as they were a species that
seemed to posess a telepathic archival matrix. However, in this case her
interest was more concern for a patient.

On one side, she was concerned that the symbiont would only last for 72
hours without another host. On the other if she did nothing the two were
doomed to die.

With all of the obstacles, her decision was heavy. The doctor joined the
others. "If I do not operate the host and symbiont will die. I have no
choice." She tapped her comm badge, =/\= "Surgical team to sickbay."

The doctor turned back to Zena, "If you do not have a host available in 72
hours, the symbiont will die. I also believe that 72 hours is a liberal
number." She continued, "I have read about an alternative if you are unable
to locate a host in time, but it is not a pleasant nor prudent option."

"What is the option?" Zena questioned.

"A human may become a temporary host for a symbiont." She began to prepare
for the operation. "It causes extreme strain on both beings. I would not
recommend it. I would also not attempt it on another species other than a
human. It was only done once."

Zena nodded.

Three hours later Xristha was again in sickbay, this time a private ward.
Two chambers sat next to each other. On the right, the host, on the left,
the symbiont.

Zena was standing next to Xristha. "Levva is in critical condition and it is
touch and go." She turned to the left, "The symbiont is weak, but holding

Xristha turned back to Levva, "I feel his emotions. The desperation grates
on me." She paused and turned to Zena, "I cannot experience or understand
the physical and metaphysical relationship between a host and symbiont. I
can easily explain to you the processes behind the relationship." She
continued, "I am telling you this because Levva may not revive simply
because part of him was torn away."

YahooPager: DrBykov
MSNMessenger: bykovbauer
ICQ: 121300458