[USS Vanguard] Specific Latent Heat, and other terminology

  • From: Kieran Darkwater <kierandarkwater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:22:53 +0100 (BST)

Sat, alone, monitoring the science stations towards the rear of the bridge,
knowing that the real work in his department was happening just there - in his
department - Kieran turned to stare at the bridge for a moment.
Something here was being missed, and though results would no doubt be
forthcoming from the lab, they may be too late.
Turning back to the displays, his frown deepened - temperature was rising,
pressure was rising, whatever the reaction was, it was escalating. Pressure...
Volume... Boyle's law.... Charles' Law.... his mind raced back through basic
science lessons, eye's wide as realisation dawned. It wasn't a cure, but it
gave them time.
"Captain. If we could focus a tight, low-powered phaser at a section of the
hull in their area, to cause microfractures, we'll reduce the pressure in
there. As the pressure drops, the gasses inside will lose energy and the
temperature rise will decelerate. It won't fix the problem, but it will give us
more time."
He stopped, turning round, to see an array of slightly shocked stares directed
at him.
"Do it." Santos nodded, still looking.
"Sir, do I really need to rem...." he began.
"I know, Mr Darkwater, I know... A&A is a part of the science department, I
know... but still."
Just another little something :p
Lt-Cmdr Kieran Darkwater
A&A Officer, Science Department