[USS Vanguard] Sneak Peek

  • From: Kieran Darkwater <kierandarkwater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 21:48:40 +0100 (BST)

The bridge grew slowly silent, contemplative, watching the conglomerative mess
of signals paint meaningless pictures on the screen. The crew all continued
with their work, efficiently if more than slightly worried. For Kieran, that
meant a slow, painstaking trawl through old logs and records trying to find
something that might help."Can't we narrow the search down again? Surely the
Heisenberg compensators will give us our own people?" the tactical ensign
offered, after while, obviously agitated. It was one thing to lack a target in
such a situation, but quite another to lack the ability to target, it
seemed."The Heisenberg compensators," Kieran explained, "are intended to narrow
down a probability in a fixed frame of reference. This, unfortunately, is not a
fixed frame of reference.."Standing, slowly, he raised his hand to cut off the
response, and focussed his thoughts, speaking his way through the problem
slowly."There are an infinite number of possibilities, each representing a
particulary reality. Each of those realities has its own quantum resonance. The
nearest universes to us will have the closest resonant signatures...""So if we
pick out the resonance of our own crew we can detect them?" Ops offered."Not
necessarily - contact with other resonant signature will blur the boundaries.
They've breathed through several different atmospheres, so far, touched
material from different realities. We're talking about probability here.
Configure the sensors to read quantum resonances, then display the brightest
signals as those closest to our own. As we narrow the band down, the
possibilities will get closer to our own, and we'll be able to make sense of
the images more."Even as he spoke, his fingers were making the adjustments, and
he forced himself out of the chair at the second science console and returned
to the central command seat. Sure enough, on the screen before him, the signal
resolved itself... sort of."What the hell is that?" he asked, quietly, seeing
three 'holes' in the image, where no resonance signal at all we being returned
at all, and ring of brightness around them where the signal was amplified
beyond the ability of the sensors to compensate. Even as he watched, the ring