[USS Vanguard] Small talk

  • From: Qbed <alpha_chan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: USS Vanguard <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:30:18 -0800 (PST)

<snip>Jaav waited to see if Qbed was willing to
volunteer more.  He tried to avoid prompting her, if
she felt pressured to respond she would probably shut
him out... </snip>

Qbed returned E'thexx's gaze, waiting for his reply.

"Frightening," he repeated.

Qbed looked around, as if startled. "Echo!" she
called, and looked to be waiting expectantly.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"This is really, really stupid, you do realize that."

"You said that last time."

"Well, not much has changed!  Am I still not a Q?
Then it's stupid."

"Why stupid?"

"Because it's stupid to send your crew to come fetch
an errant non-Q--" She broke off. "I never believed
people actually said stuff out loud like that," she
said, awed. "I thought it was a convenient plot ploy
for, like, movies.  But you shrinks really know what
you're doing!  I just totally blurted out what I was
thinking to you!  That's amazing."

"This is about the Angel One mission, then?"

"Brilliant, Holmes.  You deduced that all on your

"Qbed.  I don't think you understand that you can't
offend me.  Your nastiness will just roll right off
me, with no effect at all."

"Why not?  Other people get mad at me!  They don't
want me around!  You shouldn't, either!"

"What?  People want you around."

"Really?" Qbed spoke in a little-girl tone, looking up
at him from under her lashes.

He stared at her a moment. "Oh, that was very good,
but you can't distract me.  Please return to Angel

She hit the arms of the chair and glared at him. "You
are entirely too insightful for comfort!"

"Dommy sent people to get me."

"I used to be able to save myself."

"Well, I'm pretty useless, aren't I, then, if I
couldn't save myself?"

"Capt. Santos sent people out for Des, too."

"Des isn't a Q."

"And neither are you."

She stared at him a moment. "I'm going now."

"Next week, same time?"

[During a poker game with Data, Albert Einstein, and Isaac Newton.]
Prof. Stephen Hawking: So then I said, "In that frame of reference the
perihelion of Mercury would have preceded in the opposite direction!"
[Einstein laughs.]