[USS Vanguard] Resolution I

  • From: "Jonathon" <jonathon.bremmer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:52:46 +0100

Counselor Jaav E'thexx
Bridge
After: An Opening

<snip>
Soman: Captain, while their shields are down, I recommend Quantum torpedoes.

Santos: I concur.  Target the section of the pyramid furthest from the teams
position.  Hopefully, the damage will draw off any trouble the team may be
having and buy them some more time.

Soman re-engaged his damaged board and in seconds, 5 glowing blue orbs were on
their way.
<end snip>

There was a slight rumble in the deck plating as the torpedo spread ejected
from the launchers,  the bridge staff gaped, jaws slightly open, at the view
screen as the blue orbs arched across the view screen, tracking the main
pyramid.  Two of the five torpedoes impacted against the nearside of the
pyramid, explosions on the surface of the hostile indicated that some degree of
damage had been caused.  The pyramid rotated, facing the Vanguard with its
undamaged farside, the remaining three quantum torpedoes were absorbed by the
shielding surrounding the pyramid.

Santos:  Report.

Soman:  Confirmed impacts with two of the warheads Sir.  However, the Borg
appear to have adapted before they were struck by the following three.

Once again, Soman's hands darted across his board with proficiency and
experience as he scanned the target.  He grimmaced slightly as his plasma burns
became increasingly more uncomfortable.

Soman:  The impact point didn't appear to be a tactically significant locality
within the Pyramid... However, the Borg seemed to have taken significant damage
to their power systems, if these readings are correct, they should not be
capable of warp or transwarp travel.

Xristha's terminal chir

Droin:  That last shot appears to have destabilised the energy field
surrounding the Pyramid.  I'm getting clear internal readings in certain
sections, I have a reliable transporter lock on all members of Quetan's away
team, with the exception of Mr. Mandrake.

Santos:  Understood, transfer the data to transporter room 1, and be prepared
to beam the away team back aboard the Vanguard at a moment's notice.
She'ra spun round at her terminal, her face clearly demonstrated the rage that
her tone supressed.

Khan: But Captain, what about Cynan?

Santos: All we can do is hope that Quetan and the rest of the team can locate
Cynan before the Borg energy field begins to stabilise. They asked for a
diversion, lets pray that the one we've provided is good enough.

The expression on She'ra's face gradually morphed from one of rage to one of
apathy. She knew her Captain was right, the lives of the rest of the away team
could not be sacrificed. She wished she was there, she wished it was her on the
pyramid...she would stay.

Soman perked up from his terminal, his voice posessed a new enthusiasm,
something that, despite their best efforts, the crew on the bridge were finding
very hard to muster.

Soman: Captain, I think you should take a look at this.

The forward, real-time image on the main viewer was replaced with a tactical
schematic. The image comprised of a rotating representation of the Borg
pyramid, the computer emphasised the 'missing' section that had crash landed on
the planet in red.

Santos: What am I looking at Commander?

Soman: Its an approximate blueprint of the Borg pyramid sir, the sensors have
collected enough data for the computer to produce an approximate rendering.

Soman paused, realising that although he had answered his Captain's question,
he no doubt wanted his XO to ellaborate a little more.

Soman: It shows some inherent flaws in the design of the Pyramid.

Droin: Flaws? This is the Borg we are talking about, 'they are perfection'
remember!

Soman couldn't help but allow himself a small grin, the CMOs talent for humour
and sarcasm was one of the many things that gave her an amazing bedside manner.

Soman: This is obviously the Borg's first apparent venture into multi-vector
assault technology. The design of the Pyramid shows one or two key weaknesses.

By now, Soman Drath had Jaav's attention, the Counselor ran over what this
meant in his mind.

E'thexx: A multi-vector assault requires separation...division of the integral
whole. This goes against the very collective nature of the Borg!!

Soman: Exactly! Essentially they have made some basic mistakes that a first
year Engineering cadet would pick up on. The sensors indicate umbilical
processor nodes which link each seperable multi-vector assault section to the
next. Some of these are exposed, if we can trigger an overload in any one of
these processors the whole craft should fall apart!

She'ra had listened intently to Soman's plan, she stared at the schematic on
the screen, frantically recalling the particulars of her Academy Cybernetics
classes into mind. The solution came to her crystal clear.

Khan: Captain, I think we can use one of these nodes to locate Cynan!!

END -

OOC:

Doesn't seem like anybody has had a particularly brilliant couple of weeks.
Just wishing everyone all the best, sorry I've not posted for a bit.

USS Vanguard: http://vanguard.iwarp.com
_Free_Lists: //www.freelists.org