[USS Vanguard] RPG: The Sanctity of Life

  • From: Kieran Darkwater <kierandarkwater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:57:15 +0000 (GMT)

For a pair of scientists, Kieran was a little disappointed that neither of the
two senior officers considered the very real possibility that whatever was
blocking their comm.-signals to the ship was also likely to block a transporter
lock, but he let it ride for the moment as he considered where to start the
study of the ship.

Despite his tone he did actually feel a little excitement at the endeavour: it
wasn?t /real/ history, barely more than a human lifespan, and there was a
considerable chance that amongst some of the longer-lived species in the
Federation there were people who remembered ? who may even have served aboard ?
the USS Ghormley.

Archaeology, even as inappropriately applied as with this vessel, was built
around discovering what people did, and there were two places on a ship that
you were likely to find people ? the bridge had been empty, which left sickbay.

Sickbay wasn?t empty.

He sincerely wished it was ? He didn?t need the tricorder scan for
confirmation, he could feel his heart settling in his boots at the very sight
of it.

Tribble. Nostrova, waiting for the readout on the sensor, had the same
suspicion, he could feel it in the tension that suddenly appeared in the room.

<snip>"All life is precious, Commander," Droin told Darkwater. "Even a  Tribble

Darkwater rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"Zena, what do you think we should do?" Droin turned to Quetan. Quetan

She hadn?t appreciated Vegetius on the bridge, and he doubted she?d appreciate
George Santayana any better, but he had to try.

?Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.? He pointed
out, bluntly. ?I say we should invoke article 57, declare the ship a biohazard,
quarantine it and be on our way, just as we would if this were a microscopic
parasite. The fact it has fur shouldn?t change our assessment.?