[USS Vanguard] RPG: Stuck in the middle with you...

  • From: Kieran Darkwater <kierandarkwater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:48:05 +0100 (BST)

[Between 'The Oddities of a New World' (Mark) and 'O Discordia' (Andy)]

[snip]"And what was so important about the Temple?" MJ asked him[/snip]

?Me, I suppose.? Kieran began, with a slightly apologetic shrug. ?Or at least a
reasonably facsimile of me.? He sat down on a convenient rock and ordered his

?He ? the local version of me, that is ? lives in the temple, and has done
practically since the vessel crashed here. He concurs with Shar?s description
of this place being split into two factions: one of them wants to convince us
to go back and undo what happened here, the other wants us to leave well alone,
they are happy and like their lives as they are.

We understand that it won?t matter ? if we go back and change the past it will
only alter the future into which we travel, and these people and this version
of reality will remain. We can turn both parties down, or we can agree with
both as an appeasement, and it will not be able to alter anything.

He doesn?t believe that the situation will come to violence, for what it?s
worth, but he and his few acquaintances and accomplices are rather removed from
the local society, so their opinion on such matters is? unreliable.?

?Wow!? Zena offered, <I>sotto voce</I>, ?Kieran describing his own opinion as
unreliable? Self doubt at last??

?A reasonable approximation of the situation, nothing more.? Kieran explained,
with a little more of a frown than a smile. ?He is no more me than you are ?
different experiences, different life? makes for a different person.?

?Could we skip the metaphysics?? Santos asked, rather sharply.

?Darkwater has the Ark. He?s been without equipment to analyse it fully and
extensively, but he believes that it exists outside of the unidirectional
time-stream in which we live ? and he worries that it may be possible to link
it to a ship and travel outside of the usual restrictions of time-travel.

He doesn?t think any of the natives beyond his own small group know that it is
here, but he can?t be sure. He wants us to defend it ? if anyone were going to
try to use it, they?d likely do it now whilst we were around.?