[USS Vanguard] RPG: Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

  • From: "andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:05:17 -0500

OoC: I will have some follow-up to this post to expand on the themes presented
here and also to introduce the Ark thread.

If you want to round up your characters, it will be time to wake them up soon
and see how they start their days and take up standard duties.

Capt. Dominic Santos
USS Vanguard
Hours after promotion banquet

Santos woke, sitting straight up in bed. Immediately, he tried to slow his
breath. His heart was beating so loudly in his ears that he thought surely the
whole ship would hear.

It was a dream again. He was adrift in a black ocean. The nightsky was the
blackest he had ever seen. He floundered in the water and it all became foggy.

Then he woke up.

Santos slipped out of bed and walked to the replicator.

"Computer, time."

"The time is oh-three-thirty-three."

"Water, chilled."

He fetched his drink from the replicator and sat on the bed, sipping the water
and feeling each drop cascade down his scratchy throat.

Without really thinking about what he was doing, Santos dressed in his uniform
and left his quarters.

He found himself in the arboretum. The sound of the irrigation at work, the
gentle lapping of water as it flowed from plant to plant and the sprinkle of
water for the bigger ones, soothed him. The light was low to simulate nighttime
conditions. He smelled the earthy soil and could almost taste the flowers in
the air in what was a brilliant bloom--the season had been a good one, and he
could see the greens of a Vulcan tea rose, the reds of a Bolian chrysanthemum,
the rainbow hues of a Dominion hibiscus. He stood at the railing and peered
down at the tiny artificial river he had just built into the arboretum.

When the footsteps approached from behind, he was not really surprised. He
glanced up to see Walker. [Walker has been seen a handful of times--once at
Santos's confirmation hearing before he took command of the Vanguard and again
in a private conversation where Walker revealed that one day Santos would
command a mission to the Borg homeworld and sign the most important treaty the
Federation had ever seen.]

"Do you know the time has come?" Walker asked without preamble.

"For what?" Santos said quietly, but he knew what.

"To fulfill your destiny; to journey to the Borg homeworld and sign the treaty."

Santos nodded.

"Will I live through this encounter?"

"As you are probably aware, history is not...clear on what the period after
this treaty will bring, but one thing is for certain: Dominic Cesar Santos will
not live."

"Then why are you telling me this?"

"You mean you don't know?"

"What don't I know?"

"There are many factions at work in an era where temporal displacement has
become more common. Some believe we should not interfere at all but take no
action to prevent others from doing so. Others believe as they do, but believe
that they must take every action to prevent history as it is known and
understood from being disturbed. Still others, the most aggressive ones, take
the view that they must take an active role in history. Of these, some work to
ensure that events that have already transpired will continue to transpire.
Others seek to change history to suit their agendas."

"Sounds complicated."

"It is. But to answer your question, I tell you about your fate so that you may
have a choice in the matter."

"I have a choice?"

Walker looked at Santos as if he were mad.

"Of course you have a choice. We are asking you to sacrifice your life so that
our history--your future--follows a certain course that has been foretold. We
couldn't ask this of you without offering a choice."

Santos looked at a Lincoln rose and noted that it needed to be trimmed back.

"And what if I refuse?"

"Then our history is irrevocably altered. And we will have to suffer the

"And they are...?"

"What makes you think we know?"

"If alternate realities weren't studied, you wouldn't know that this would be
the best course of action."

"Good point. It would be...catastrophic."

"So: do nothing, and the entire galaxy suffers. Fulfill this plan, and I die.
Quite a choice."

"I didn't say it would be easy."

"Yes." Santos stood up and looked at Walker. "I'll do it."
Please continue to send all email to andywoho@xxxxxxxxxx

This is an email account I use from my workplace.