[USS Vanguard] RPG: Good Things Come in Small Packages

  • From: Vanguard Staff <vanguard.staff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vanguard <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:13:15 -0600

Capt. Dominic Santos
USS Vanguard/USS Ghormley
After "The Appliance of Science"

The Vanguard away team rematerialized on the bridge of the USS Ghormley.

As they peered around the bridge, their helmet torches swam through
the darkness.

"Commander, if you don't mind, I'd like to get started pulling all the
data off the ship's computers," Highwaij said.

"Proceed, Mister Highwaij," Quetan replied, looking around the bridge.

Highwaij looked around, found the main computer aft of the bridge and
placed his equipment on the floor. He brushed a bunch of singed wiring
off the controls and studied the computer.

"The main relays are shorted out. These old computers were never very
good under stress," Highwaij said to no one in particular.

Dr. Droin began scanning their surroundings with a tricorder. Ceelak
Nostrova sat in the captain's chair and opened the panel on the arm,
revealing the computer. She depressed buttons without much hope. That
computer, too, also seemed non-functioning.

"I don't know, Highwaij," Quetan said. "This ship is still in one
piece after 100 years. We should all be so lucky."

"Says the Trill with the symbiont," Droin said.

Quetan smiled.

Darkwater studied the plaque. The plaque on the Ghormley was placed
near the old-style turbolift, as if reminding everyone entering and
leaving the bridge to study it.

"Commissioned in San Francisco...completed at the Antares Ship
Yards...by order of so on and so forth...well, isn't this

"What is it?" Ceelak looked up.

"'Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.'"

"What?" Droin asked.

"It's Latin," Highwaij said without turning around. "It means
'Therefore, whoever wishes for peace, let him prepare for war.'"

Darkwater looked at Highwaij. "Thank you, Mister Highwaij, but I know my Latin."

"Those are...unusual words to launch a ship by," Droin said, snapping
shut her tricorder.

"This ship, these officers, they operated under different
circumstances, Doctor," Darkwater said. "To filter their world through
your modern sensibilities--sensibilities developed under an era of
peace they fought and died to protect--is senseless, frankly."

Droin stared wordlessly at Darkwater, looked as if she was about to
debate the point with him, but shook her head instead, and looked to

Zena took a deep breath. "All right, we're not getting anything done
milling around the bridge." She tapped her comm badge.

"Quetan to Vanguard."

No reply.

Quetan tapped her comm badge again.

"Quetan to Vanguard. Bridge? Science?"

No reply.

"Xristha, you try."

Dr. Droin tapped her comm badge.

"Dr. Droin to Vanguard. Dr. Droin to Sickbay."

Droin shrugged.

"All right. Sooner or later, Nick will realize we haven't reported in
and transport us off this ship. I'm not worried about that. In the
meantime, let's do what we came here to do while we have time.

"Kieran, you and the constable concentrate on taking as many items of
interest as you can."

"So you want us to plunder the ship?" Darkwater asked. "I'm an
archaeologist, not a buccaneer."

Nostrova grinned.

"Don't think of it as plunder," Quetan grinned. "Think of it as a
scientific endeavor."

"Oh, well, that changes everything," Darkwater muttered.

Darkwater and Nostrova left for a lower deck.

"Highwaij, concentrate on the ship's records."

Highwaij looked up.

"I'm 47 percent of the way there."

"Already?" Quetan asked.

"These old records are easy to deal with. The bottleneck is in the
uplink. My equipment could handle this more quickly if their computers
were faster."

"Zena, does something seem out of place to you?" Droin asked.

Quetan frowned. "Now that you mention it, where are the crew?"

Highwaij turned around. "Escape pods? Abandoned the ship?"

"Maybe," Quetan said, "but if that's the case, then they left in an
awful hurry. Which tells me they either came under attack or were
forced off under duress."

"...and if they didn't, we should have found some corpses by now,"
Droin finished.

Before Quetan had the chance to say anything else, her communicator chirped.

=/\= "Commander? It's Nostrova." =/\=

"At least the communicators work on the ship," Highwaij said.

=/\= "Go ahead, Constable." =/\=

=/\= "We think you should come down to sickbay. There's something here
you need to see. And bring Dr. Droin with you." =/\=

Zena and Xristha looked at one another.

=/\= "What's your position?" =/\=

=/\= "Come down one deck, long corridor, make a right. Big caduceus on
the door. Can't miss it." =/\= This time, it was Kieran's tone.

"Go on," Highwaij said. "I've got things under control up here."

Xristha and Zena strolled into sickbay to Kieran and Ceelak's backs.

"What is it?" Zena asked.

Kieran and Ceelak moved aside to reveal an old-fashioned glass
specimen jar. Inside the jar sat what appeared to be a small bundle of
fur. It wasn't moving.

Droin blanched. "Is that what I think it is?"

"If you think it's a Tribble, then you're right," Darkwater said.

"What is it doing on board?" Quetan asked.

"Ask somebody who works on this ship," Darkwater said.

"I don't see any other Tribbles, dead or alive. What is it doing by
itself?" Droin asked.

"As far as I can tell, doctor, it's in some kind of hibernation
state," Nostrova said.

"And maybe we ought to leave it well enough alone and tiptoe out,"
Darkwater said.

"No," Droin said. They all turned to look at her. "It's a life. I'm
not going to leave him/her/it alone on this ship."

"And if you bring it aboard the Vanguard, there's a good chance the
ship will be overrun. You *do* know the history behind the Tribbles,
don't you?" Darkwater asked.

"All life is precious, Commander," Droin told Darkwater. "Even a Tribble one."

Darkwater rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"Zena, what do you think we should do?" Droin turned to Quetan.

Quetan sighed.

Meanwhile, on the bridge of the Vanguard, Santos paced back and forth.

"Time, Mister Mandrake?" Santos asked.

"Five minutes since the last time you asked, sir. Oh, correction. Make
that four."

Santos turned to Chief Petty Officer Kavan. "They haven't checked in
in over half an hour."

Kavan merely nodded.

=/\= "Transporter Room One, Bridge." =/\=

=/\= "Bridge, Transporter Room One. Challis here, sir." =/\=

=/\= "Do you have a lock on the Away Team?" =/\=

=/\= "Aye, sir." =/\=

=/\= "Get them back, right now." =/\=

Seconds passed as Santos continued to pace the bridge. After giving
Challis what seemed to be a reasonable amount of time, Santos asked
again, =/\= "Transporter room." =/\=

No reply.

=/\= "Transporter Room? Report!" =/\=

=/\= "It's Zena, Nick. I think you should join us in the transporter room." =/\=

Santos and Mandrake looked at one another. They left the bridge with
Kavan close behind.