[USS Vanguard] RPG: Backstage

  • From: Kieran Darkwater <kierandarkwater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:46:34 +0100 (BST)

Nestled back against one of the immense pillars of the cathedral, Kieran stared
up at Bernini?s monument to Alexander VII with more than a touch of wonder,
even after all the centuries. It was merely a holo-creation, he knew, a
recreation of a work that had long ago been secluded behind glass and
protective casings, but it was still an incredible piece.

?A church, Kieran?? the familiar voice appeared behind him, behind the pillar,
but he didn?t move.

?Not just a church, perhaps the single most significant religious structure in
human history.? The holographic preacher came into his line of sight, staring
up at the baroque glory of death lifting the funereal drapery and showing the
world that Alexander?s hourglass was empty.

?Striking.? It finally offered, before looking around at the rest of the
church. ?St Peter?s Basilica? what brings you here??

?Bernini?s crowning work.? Kieran nodded towards the immense marble composite
without rising. ?Bernini demonstrates an incredible ability to improvise by
incorporating the pre-existing architecture ? in this case the door ? into the
work, an ability probably only surpassed by Michaelangelo?s frescoes in the
Sistine Chapel, and they are nowhere near this big. Coupled with subtle
elements like the thorn in the globe beneath the foot of the statue of Truth
emanating from England ? representing the split of the Anglican church from the
Catholics, and the incredible eye to blend the tones and colours so
exquisitely, it makes this probably the most technically brilliant piece in
this entire city.?

Having finished his surveyance of the piece he slowly rose to his feet and
turned to face the holofigure slowly, eyes set and shoulders squared back.

?I don?t think, however, that you came to appreciate the relative merits of the
Holy See?s renaissance wonders, did you? So I?ll ask you? why are you here??

?This is where I belong, this is where I come from, and where ? now that you?ve
uploaded me from that little portable prison you call an emitter ? I return.?

?You mistake the question? I don?t mean why have you appeared now that someone
is here in the Meditation Suite? I mean why are you here aboard the ship? I
gave your story of achieving an emergent sentience from a sufficiently advanced
holo-programme a little credence before, in light of a lack of other evidence.

Now, though, we have evidence of other holographic sentiences with less than
pleasant intentions?.why are you here?? This time, when he asked, there was an
edge to his voice, a stern tone that didn?t appear often, and wasn?t
particularly pleasant.

?Ah, yes, well?.? The programme paused, contemplating something, looking away
briefly before looking him squarely in the eye. ?I? I?m not one of them,
exactly. Same group, different department, you might say.? He tried a smile,
but Kieran?s flat gaze wasn?t returning it, and with a sigh it continued.

?I?m sure you?re going to expect me to repeat this later for everyone?s
benefit? can?t you just assemble them all now and we can do it all at once??

?If that?s the way you want it, we can do that. Into the holo-emitter you go,
then.? The resigned look on the holo-figure?s face appeared genuine as it
dissolved into the background energy of the holographic building and the coding
transferred itself to the small device in Kieran?s hand which he immediately
put into a stand-by mode as he turned towards the exit.

?Darkwater to Commander Quetan, I?ve something I think you should see.?

Off> Just another little thread into the weave, as it were - I'm not going
anywhere in particular with it, so feel free to jump in :).

Incidentally, Bernini?s statue is just one of a number of incredible sights at
St Peter?s and the Vatican Museums; I recommend anyone who gets the chance to
goes and spends at least a day there. I did, and I?m about as religious as
Stalin, and it was an incredible experience.

If anyone knows which film/show the quote ?same people, different department?
comes from I?d appreciate you letting me know before it drives me nuts!