[USS Vanguard] RPG: Back to Work

  • From: "Jonathon Bremmer" <jonathon.bremmer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vanguard" <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 19:09:56 +0100

Lt. Cmdr Jaav E'thexx
Location: Counselor's Office
After: Retreat

Jaav resisted the urge not to look down.  Although Ensign Lopez-Fitzgerald had
his complete attention, there was a little voice inside his head that was
convinced he had put on the previous evenings uniform.  The one upon which the
mashed potatoe residue still remained.  He cleared his throat and shifted,
firmly redirecting his gaze toward Lopez-Fitzgerald who had not noticed the
deviation in his concentration.

"...and that's when I realised how much it bothered me.  Do you think it should
really be an issue Counselor?"  Aliyah was now very aware of Jaav, obviously
waiting for a response and no doubt expecting him to dispense some professional
advice.  Jaav quickly recalled her last few sentences, pushing any last thought
of starch based vegetable products out of his mind.

"Not at all Aliyah.  It's to be expected that you'll need a little while to
adapt to the social dynamics of a new crew but I'm sure they'll be no problem
at all."  Jaav was pleased with his recovery.  Unlike most of the individuals
onboard the Vanguard,  Aliyah-Amores Lopez-Fitzgerald had eagerly sought the
advice of the Ship's Counselor not long after her arrival.  Usually it took a
little persuasion before the first visit.

"So you don't think I should be concerned by the lack of discipline and relaxed
atmosphere?"  Aliyah folded her arms, she seemed very keen to discover what
Jaav thought about the whole issue.

"I think it's perfectly normal to be concerned.  The atmosphere onboard is very
relaxed for the most part, and if you're comparing the situation onboard to
that of the Academy or to a vessel were discipline is manifested and maintained
in a less flexible manner you're bound to find things take a little getting
used to here.  I'm sure in time you'll find things become much more
comfortable."

"But I'm the JAG Officer onboard, my role and discipline go hand in hand.  Time
may only make my job harder and push me away from the crew."  Fitzgerald was
obviously distressed, in her mind the level of crew moral and ease of
interaction threatened her role onboard.  Jaav did his best to reassure her.

"The Command staff have for some time chosen to adopt an approach to discipline
which encourages the crew to develop close and efficient relationships, and
although at first, it may seem as if things can get a little sloppy," Jaav
supressed a giggle, it was a bad choice of words given the events of the night
before, "any order given will most certainly be followed, and any starfleet
protocol strictly adhered to.  Santos and Soman are very clear on that, they
promote felixibility but would never tolerate insubordination."

Lopez-Fitzgerald sat back in her chair, exhaled and smiled.

"Thank you Counselor.  I guess it's just new crew nerves huh?"

"I'll have to remember that particular phrase, but yes."

Aliyah stood up and straightened out her uniform.  Jaav made a point of never
ending a session until the patient was ready themselves, Aliyah seemed happy to
conclude.

"I would give things a little time.  Don't pressure yourself, your role
shouldn't be threatened by the closeness of the crew, in many ways it will be
supported by it."  Jaav stood up and tapped at the wall console glancing at his
schedule.  "Of course your welcome to call in any time before, but I have a
window for an appointment the same time next week if you're interested?"

Aliyah clasped her hands behind her back and rocked forward on her feet.

"That would be good.  I'll make a note in my diary.  Thank's Counselor."

Jaav nodded in acknowledgment as Aliyah departed through the door.  He
collected up the two empty cups and two saucers on the low table by his coach
and carried them to the replicator.

"Computer, Recycle."  As always, the computer chirped to confirm the order,
before the crockery dematerialised.

Jaav moved over to his a bookcase, an indulgence he allowed himself and one
Kieran Darkwater occasional shared.  Over the years he had managed to build
quite a collection of  psychological texts ranging from Freud and Jung of
Earth, to Mawk of Ferenginar.  Only a handful of the books were authentic
originals to their respective eras.  Jaav selected a small green, leather-bound
book and took it to his chair and sat down.  He had a few minutes before he was
due to meet Zena for lunch.

END
Vanguard Archives at Freelists: //www.freelists.org/archives/ncv80221