[USS Vanguard] RP: When the Smoke Clears (4)

  • From: "andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:54:57 -0600

Capt. Dominic Santos
USS Vanguard ? Event Horizon
After "When the Smoke Clears (3)"

??Irn Bru??? came a voice behind Sam McCaw. ?That?s not bad?if you don?t mind
drinking goat urine.? The Captain took a stool next to Darkwater and nodded
down the bar at Mandrake and McCaw. Mandrake made a face of distaste at the
?goat urine? reference, but Des laughed. ?Now, Ribena?that?s a warrior?s drink.?

?I didn?t know you considered many 12-year-old girls to be  warriors,? sir,?
Darkwater replied with a straight face.

Santos chuckled and nodded to Des, who produced a ?Ribena, chilled.?

?Are you going to let him get away with that?? Des asked the captain.

Santos shrugged and sipped his Ribena. ?I?m in a particularly good mood.?

?Happy at the conclusion of the Fleet mission, Nick?? Des asked.

?Happy that it?s over and that I?m not a feast for a parasite, if that?s what
you mean.?

?Well put, Mister Mandrake,? Darkwater told Mandrake. Mandrake lifted a glass
in salute.

?So what now, o fearless leader?? McCaw asked Santos.

?As a matter of fact, I came down to Event Horizon to speak to you,? Santos
told Des.

?Moi?? Des asked, pressing a hand to her chest.

?Oui,? Santos replied. ?Can I see you a moment in private??

Des walked the length of the bar as Santos followed on the other side. Des
lifted the partition separating the bar from the patrons and stood next to
Santos.

At that moment, Dr. Droin walked into Event Horizon and took the seat Santos
just vacated, between Mandrake and Darkwater.

?Hello, boys! Buy a lady a drink?? she asked.

?Sure, since everything?s free. Or something.? Mandrake grinned.

?Well, madam doctor, don?t you look fetching tonight?? Darkwater said.

Droin patted her hair in a ?Why-thank-you-sugah? gesture.

?Well, thank you, Kieran??

?Since you?re so fetching, why don?t you fetch me another glass of milk??
Darkwater said, emptying his glass.

Droin slapped him on the arm and pointed a finger in his face. ?And for that,
next time you?re in sickbay, I?ll be sure to jab the longest needle in your??

?Hey, I wonder what the deal is between the captain and Des?? McCaw asked.

They looked down the bar at Santos and Desdemona.

??and I just don?t have the time to look after the arboretum, not the way I
want to,? Santos said.

?So go through channels and request a xeno-botanist,? Barrett-Brown said.

?Well, that?s the problem,? Santos said. ?Xeno-botanists aren?t the kind of
officers or scientists you run across every day in the Academy. The next
xeno-botanist up for re-assignment is Dr. X?fassh from the USS Madrid.?

Des shrugged and looked at Santos in a ?So what does this have to do with me??
gesture.

?Well, I was hoping that Trevor [Elis] may want the job. So far he seems to
have confined himself to your quarters except for when you?re here. And then he
sleeps.?

Des bit her lip, thinking it over. ?Can I talk to him before you do??

Santos shrugged. ?I don?t see why not. But tell him there?s no pressure. He?s
free to come and go from the Vanguard at his leisure. He doesn?t need to dance
for his daily bread here, but if he wants to do something, you know, to take
his mind off other?matters??

Des held her hand up. ?I know what you?re talking about.?

??then have him come see me.? Santos grinned down the bar at Mandrake,
Darkwater, McCaw and Droin. ?And let me get a Crown Royal, splash of Coca-Cola.?

Please continue to send all email to andywoho@xxxxxxxxxx

This is an email account I use from my workplace.