[USS Vanguard] Preparing for departure... boarding at gates 9 and 10....

  • From: Kieran Darkwater <kierandarkwater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 01:05:10 +0000 (GMT)

Kieran sat on the grass, staring off into the distance - and that bridge - for
almost an hour, waiting for the group to settle down. They were a slight
distance off, gathered around some 'marvel' of the era, laughing at the
primitives - in an enlightened way, of course. He tapped the comm-link.

=^= "Darkwater to Mandrake?" he said, quietly, not wanting to draw attention.

=^= "Go ahead." Cynan's voice replied, calmly. It was strange to think that
they could be in the same area, perhaps even the same place exactly, but
completely incapable of interacting directly.

=^= "We may have a problem with the temporal transporter..." he said, wearily,
his hand rising to rub at the stubble dotting his chin.

=^= "What sort of problem?"

=^= "Well, you have the transciever to signal the Vanguard to bring us back.
The ship will lock onto that signal, locate the comm signals in the locale at
that time frame, and beam them back.

However... we're not sharing your time frame..."

=^= "You think the scanners won't pick you up when I activate the transciever?"

=^= "I think it's a very real possibility..." There was silence for a few
moments, and Kieran looked around again, making sure the others were out of
earshot.

=^= "Presumably, you think you have a solution?" Cynan asked, with something of
a note of humour to his voice.

=^= "Actually.. yes.. how did you know?"

=^= "Just an assessment of your character... if there was no obvious solution,
you would have brought it to the group to get more input. You came to me, so
you need approval..." Kieran had to admit he had a point.

=^= "Well, we can use the communicators to act as temporal transcievers... but
we will need to build something to link them together."

=^= "I don't understand?"

=^= "We can modify the communicators to act as repeaters for the temporal
transciever, but they can't generate the signal themselves. Once we convert
them, though, they won't act as regular communicators, and we won't be able to
use them to send the signal from the transciever to the communicators. We'll
have to build a link... and that means using indigenous parts."

=^= "Stealing indigenous parts, you mean?"

=^= "Most likely." he admitted.

=^= "Can you do the necessary work?"

=^= "I think so..."

=^= "Where did a historian learn that?"

=^= "A&A is still a part of the science department... I don't just catalogue
statues and ritual knives..." he said, frowning. He'd had his specialty
belittled often enough before, he didn't need it now.

=^= "Alright, call everyone together, let's get this sorted out."

Lieutenant (jg) Kieran Darkwater

A&A Officer

Science Department

USS Vanguard