[USS Vanguard] Powerless

  • From: Qbed <alpha_chan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: USS Vanguard <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 20:56:54 -0800 (PST)

Lt. Qbed
During the "Spook-tacular"

 It wasn't that she was some sort of control freak,
she mused.  It really wasn't.  But she'd become
accustomed to a certain level of control, and now it
was gone.

She never had bled before, she realized, watching the
trickles of blood with some fascination.  Her parents
had seen to that, then, as a true Q, of course, she
couldn't bleed.
This blood was red, once it was exposed to oxygen.
She held her wrists together and studied the contrast.
Red all along her right arm, but her left wrist,
undisturbed, showed blue blood under the skin.  It
really was fascinating.  She ran her finger along the
cut and it immediately closed up.  But it had opened
in the first place, hadn't it?  And she had stubbed
her toe earlier today, hadn't she?

Her door chimed. "Come in," she said hollowly.

Sam strode in. "Well?  Aren't you coming to the

She looked blank for a moment. "Oh.  Yes, I remember
now.  No, I don't think so.  Have a good time."

Her voice was dead, he realized. "What's wrong?" he

But he had spotted her arms and grabbed them. "What's
this?" He shook her right arm. "Why are you bleeding?"

"I'm not, anymore," she protested. "I wanted to see if
it would happen."

"You what?"

"I couldn't bleed before," she said a little
defensively. "Now, apparently I can.  And...you're
hurting me." The last was said in obvious surprise.

He dropped her arms. "What's wrong?" he asked again.

"I received some bad news." She managed a little
smile. "I'm okay now, I think."

"What sort of bad news does a Q get?" he asked as they
headed towards Event Horizon.

She sighed. "The kind where Tails asks me if I would
do a "Q-thing" and make Kieran look female to the
Angel One people.  I mean, all I would have to do is
change how they saw him.  It's an easy, easy thing,
and it would make for much easier security."

"No.  The bad part is when I have to say no."

"Well, isn't that a Continuum law or something?"

"No." She rubbed her temple. "I have a headache," she
said, again in surprise.

"What is going on?" he finally burst on, in total

She steeled herself, to actually say it, acknowledge
it. "The Continuum has stripped me of my powers.
Before, I was a Q in Cardassian clothing.  Now, I'm a
mortal in Q clothing.  Ironic, in a way, isn't it?"

The doors opened, but Sam pulled her away. "What do
you mean, stripped of your powers?"

"I'm mortal, Sam.  As in, 'if you prick a Q, do we not
bleed?'" She waved her arm at him. "See?"

He had no idea what do to.  He had even less idea when
she started to cry. He put his arms around her.

"Don't say that," she sobbed. "I'm not a Q anymore."

Well, he reflected a little wryly, the Halloween party
was out of the question.

Do You Yahoo!?
Find a job, post your resume.