[USS Vanguard] Poolside Session

  • From: jonathon.bremmer@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:55:24 GMT+01:00

Lt. Jaav E'thexx
Ship's Counselor
Time: After Mack's/Roch's most recent post.

The towel barely jammed into the bag, Jaav had thought about replicating a
larger one but decided that with a little determination the one he had would
do.  Physical exercise usually provided the Counselor with some mental relief,
it was nice to have an uncomplicated and clear-cut goal, improving his strokes
in the Vanguard's pool would no doubt make it possible for him to push some of
the other garbage out of his mind.

Jaav slung the hold-all over his shoulder and left his quarter's, and made his

The pool was relatively empty on his arrival, only one or two crewmen were
around, which was a bonus since Jaav was looking forward to a little time to
himself.  He dropped the bag down on one of the seats on his stand and was
searching through it for his swimlenses when he noticed a member of the crew
making their way towards him.  Jaav looked for a second or two before
recognising the man as Roch Chase, he'd never spoken to him face-to-face before
but had seen him about the Vanguard.

Roch:  Counselor.

E'thexx:  Mr. Roch, I don't think I've had the opportunity welcome you onboard
properly until now.

Jaav extended his hand, it was met by a firm grasp and shake from Roch.
Although a human custom, Jaav recognised the Terran handshake had been adopted
as the physical greeting of preference throughout Starfleet.

E'thexx:  How are you finding life on Vanguard Lieutenant?

Chase:  It's a fine ship, although I had a little difficulty getting used to
the Romulan influenced configuration at first.  Nothing's where you expect it
to be.

E'thexx:  I take it you had no problem in finding my office though?

Jaav smirked just to let Roch no that it was a joke, the sentiment was picked
up right away, and Roch quickly realised that Jaav was referring to the
'buzz-and-run' incident at his office door.

Roch:  Sorry about that, I decided at the last minute I didn't really need to
speak to you after all

E'thexx:  It's no problem...I've been speaking with Desdemona Barret-Brown, the
Ship's Bar Manager, she said that I should maybe expect a visit from you, you
have any idea what she might be talking about?

Roch:  Maybe, there's been a little 'friction' between a couple of members of
the crew and myself.

E'thexx:  My office is always open if you want a discrete place to talk about

Roch looked over his shoulder and glanced about the pool.

Chase:  It's quiet here, I'd quite like to get it out in the open now if it's
okay with you?

Jaav nodded, took a step back and sat down on the spectator stall, Roch
followed suit.

Roch:  Lt. Khan and myself had...begun to enjoy each others company, at the
time I didn't have a full understanding of the nature of the relationship
between her and Mandrake, and she seemed quite pleased that I was around...

Roch hesitated, obviously feeling slightly uncomfortable and searching for the
next words that were to leave his mouth.

Chase:  When Mandrake made his appearance it changed everything.  I could see
how strong She'ra's feelings were for him, and although I thought maybe I had a
chance, I didn't want to make things difficult for her by sticking around, so I
told her to go to Cynan.  I thought that would be then end of it, I thought I'd
be able to deal with it from then on, but it made me so angry inside to think
of how he'd treated her, so I said something to him.

E'thexx:  What did you say?

Chase: I don't remember my exact words, but I told him if he hurt She'ra again
I'd be the one he had to answer to.

E'thexx: And what was Lt. Mandrake's response?

Chase:  I left before he could comment.  Not long after I would be when I came
to see you LTt., but I decided that I didn't need to speak with a Counselor and
it was just a trivial matter, so I left.

E'thexx:  I take it that's not how you feel now?

Chase:  No.  Time away from it all, away from She'Ra has just made me churn
over it more and more.  I'm worried that I've made a mess of things, especially
with regards to She'ra, and I'm worried about my reputation & performance on
this ship.

Jaav considered what Roch had said for a moment or two before answering.

E'thexx:  Roch, I can appreciate the position you're in is a difficult one.  On
the one hand you obviously have strong feelings for She'Ra and want to see her
happy, and on the other you are frustrated because you may not be a part of her
happiness.  I think it's very noble that you told her to go to Cynan, and
although indirectly threatening Lt. Mandrake might not have been the best thing
you could do in a situation like that, I can appreciate that your concern for
Lt. Khan was a major motivation.

Jaav paused briefly, carefully composing what he was about to say next.

E'thexx:  You've come aboard a a new ship and you're trying to integrate
yourself into a new crew, there are bound to be difficulties with certain
people and I don't think you should persecute yourself or worry too much about
your reputation, it's still intact, but I do think you touched on an important
point.  As a new member of the crew you're likely to be under a slightly more
critical eye than you would be normally, it might be an idea to try not to
exacerbate the tension between Mandrake and yourself.  Cynan is a very
reasonable man and I think you'll find that so long as nothing more is brought
up the whole incident will be dismissed.

Roch let out a breath and scratched his face.

Roch:  I see what you're saying Counselor.

E'thexx:  Overall I think you've performed very well in a difficult situation,
you're new to the ship, and it's going to take a little while for you to get
used to our 'social dynamic'.  So try not to worry too much, and try to enjoy
settling into your new post, you might find that it will take your mind of
matters of the heart.

Roch looked up, that was exactly what he needed, it was driving him mad inside,
it cut him up not to have She'Ra, but that was decision he had made.  He had
told her to go to Roch, and that was what had to happen now.

Chase:  Thank you Counselor, I'll keep that in mind.

Roch stood up, he picked up his towel and threw it over his shoulder.

E'thexx: I hope I've been some help,  If you need to speak with me at all
you're more than welcome to find me in my office, or here at the pool if you

Roch thanked Jaav once more before departing.

OOC:  Hope I got it right Mack.

talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at