[USS Vanguard] Please read! OoC: The first entry of my post and other matters.

  • From: "Andy W. Ho" <andywoho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: USS Vanguard <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 21:09:19 -0800 (PST)

Hello, everyone.

Here it is: the wind-down of the "Angel One" mission. Looks like we hit
that mid-mission hump, and boy, that was a hard one, too. I hope that
gets us over it and in due speed.

You may have noticed a VERY out of place post in the top portion of my
post. Let me start by saying this:

"Grand Theory." 150 days.

150 days is the number of days we have to go before the
Astoria/Vanguard celebrates its 1,000th day. That's right, believe it
or not, ladies and gentlemen, it's been nearly 1,000 days since Capt.
Lee first walked aboard the Astoria's bridge.

To those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, the Astoria was
the original name of the Vanguard sim, and Capt. Lee my character. If
you're interested, I can point you toward the relevant posts.

Let me ask you this--have you ever been curious where some of our old
characters ended up? About the dangling plotlines that are unresolved?

About the Logos mission...?

...or the predictions that Q gave Lee at the retirement party...

...or Soman's fight against assimilation...

...or Quetan's former hosts...

...or the Borg and the Omega...

...or the Mirror Universe...

...or the Tal'Shiar, Nirsh an'Kharh and Vokar...

...or Mandrake's "lost years"...

...or Kye's father...

...or Stratford's past--and his future...

...or Farpoint Station...

...or Stark's "death"...

...Lee's future...

...the Astoria-A (for that matter, the Astoria-B)...

...what really happened aboard Santos' posting during the
Chrysalis/Nexus mission...

...the dreams that haunt Sam McCaw...

...Highwaij's father and mother...

...Chen'ki's mission...

...Desdemona's history...

...Jaav's lack of symbiont...

Do we have answers to all those questions? Do you? Maybe. Maybe not.
But we've been hinting at those things since we brought each and every
question with us on the Vanguard.

One thousand days. It's been leading up to this all along and I think
we've all felt it, too. One thousand days of playing in email and of
showing each other our characters. Good times, and bad. Quiet times,
and weeks with a lot of energy.

One thousand days. You've come this far. Go a little further and think
about these things. If you have something you want to show us, get
ready to do it in May 2002. You're going to want to play with us. Trust
me. "Grand Theory." I would love to resolve some of those nagging old
plot threads and look toward the future, bringing our characters
together closer than ever.

In the meantime, I always field questions about what to do about posts
that suddenly become obsolete because players are simply five minutes
late to post, and ooops, someone's come in with something that makes
your post "irrelevant." Well, they're not irrelevant. You worked hard.
I know I've had it happen to me.

So why let good work get buried? I'm going to introduce a "depository"
on the Web site. I'll design and implement a part of the site so that
any posts you want to write that don't fit into continuity will have a
home and we can all enjoy them.

Obviously, this mean there will be one section for you to show us a
little more about your character--either past or "off-duty" time, and
also posts that missed continuity, but that you would like everyone to
see. How does that sound? If you like, you can start sending those
right away and I'll post them every week or every two weeks.

In the meantime, we've got a mission to finish and a few ways to do it.
So let's get on it!