[USS Vanguard] OoC: Thoughts on Posting

  • From: Vanguard Staff <vanguard.staff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vanguard <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:15:36 -0600

I've enjoyed the level of involvement and the energy and skill
apparent in the posts during the last two weeks.

But (and you knew that was coming!) I've seen some posting habits that
run counter to the guidelines of the Vanguard, and I think the sooner
this is addressed and resolved, the better it would be for everyone.

1) Please do away with "tags." For the most part, they are
unnecessary. If you've written a post, then it's generally understood
that you expect a reply. If nothing else, if you direct your "tag"
only to one or two people, you run the risk that someone else who may
have an idea about your post and would love to respond may be
discouraged from doing so because you're expecting a reply from
someone else.

2) Next: content. The point has been made before but needs to be
stressed again. We're a rated-PG ship. Maybe, at the harshest level,
it's a rated-PG13 ship. If you live outside the United States and
don't know what this means, then I can find resources for you to
peruse on your time. This is especially relevant to posting that
includes descriptions of sexuality or sexual situations.

I shouldn't have to mention language, but I will anyway. "Damn,"
"hell" and "bastard" are fine. Depending on the context, an occasional
"ass" or "bitch" are fine. Example: "He's being an ass" but not "[My
character] slapped [your character] on the ass."

Let me put it this way: If you can't show your grandmother your post
without blushing, then edit before you post. If you have any doubts,
email me, and I will be happy to read your post before you send it.

3) Length and spelling/grammar. A rule of thumb having to do with
length is that your post should exceed the length of what you're
quoting from another player's post. I should spend approximately five
minutes reading it, maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

Some of you are native English speakers, some of you are not. Some of
you have professional writing experience, but most of you don't. At
the very least, please check your posts for spelling, grammar and
punctuation before you send it.

Mel brought up the point with me that these posts are cataloged in the
FreeLists archives and are available for everyone to browse. Let's put
our best face forward and show anyone reading why the Vanguard has the
very best players in PbEM.

Thank you for your involvement and your work for the Vanguard. We have
some exciting ideas on the horizon I think you will enjoy and find

If you have any questions or comments, please send them privately to me.

Best regards,