[USS Vanguard] OoC: The Next Mission - "Family"

  • From: "Andy W. Ho" <andywoho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: USS-Vanguard <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:12:26 -0800 (PST)

After the Enterprise faced the Borg in the landmark episode "The Best
of Both Worlds," the crew of the Enterprise returned to Earth where
Wesley Crusher, Worf and Jean-Luc Picard enjoyed reunions with various
family members.

It's always been one of my favorite episodes from the TNG series. So
why not play it out on the Vanguard?

A couple of reasons:

1. After two missions where the characters have been under tremendous
pressure (Galinia-4 and the joint mission), and since Santos had
intended to take time off anyway, it would make sense for the Vanguard
to head home to Earth. (Yes, I know not all of the characters' families
originate from Earth, but I can come up with a reasonable premise to
return to Earth. And it would be easier for the characters' families to
see them in the heart of the Federation rather than when the Vanguard
is galaxies -- or time periods -- away, no?)

2. Alexa mentioned that she wanted Droin to see her brother. Why not?
And while we're at it, why not meet some of the other family members?

3. We've each come up with elaborate biographies for the characters;
what a shame it would be not to explore some of the characters and
events mentioned in them. I've been meaning to find ways to do that
anyway, before Alexa expressed her wish to see Droin's brother.

4. Finally, it would give everyone a chance to catch up, jump back on
board, introduce or reintroduce characters, expand on interactions and
explore different plot lines in an environment less structured than
normal.

Oh, yeah, and since I'm going to be away from home and away from a
computer for a week or so, it would take some of the pressure off me.
:)

So let's assume the mission has already started; I'll get the Vanguard
home.

Looking forward to what you all come up with and hoping you'll find
this a fun opportunity.

Best wishes,

Andy
Cap'n D. Santosb