[USS Vanguard] OoC: Response to Mark

  • From: "andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:09:37 -0500

There's no need to worry that I'll be critical because you wrote what's on your
mind, Mark. I appreciate your candor and how much you obviously care about the
Vanguard. Also, I appreciate your vote of confidence, but I have to disagree
with you: Everyone who plays *is* the Vanguard. I couldn't do it without the
team that we have in place.

Yes, it's true--while I believe that each PbEM is the envisioning of the first
administrator, I credit all the players for what the Astoria and later the
Vanguard became. As Mel so aptly put it, the Vanguard writers are some of the
most talented in the PbEM community.

What attracted them/you in the first place? I like to think that, yes, based on
the recruitment posts I've written and the format that I introduced that
talented, intelligent people saw something they liked about the
Astoria/Vanguard and spread the word, and in so doing, we became what we are

But an organization like this is like a plant: It can only grow and be healthy
through constant care. I've said it before, but it's worth saying again: As
long as you want to play, I will make sure you have a worthwhile environment in
which to play, and I will do what's in my power to make that time interesting
and fun for you.

I have a post ready to go. I would like Mark, Alex and Steve to find a way to
join us. (It can be contrived. I don't care since I just want the characters
back on the Vanguard. I realize it's short notice so no points off for
contrived plot devices.)

This Saturday, I will spend some time weeding through the Web site and trying
to update what desperately needs to be updated. I hope you like the first step
I've made in what I hope is a bold, new direction for the Vanguard. And I think
taking the game in bold, new directions will be a good thing, a solid
groundwork, for what's to come. And I hope you'll tell me if you disagree.