[USS Vanguard] OoC: My Condolences

  • From: "Andy W. Ho" <andywoho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: USS-Vanguard <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:47:44 -0700 (PDT)

At a time like this, words seem inadequate.

I've had loss. I think we all have. But, my God, I've never lost a

Just yesterday, I was looking at a beautiful postcard that Randi sent
me from her summer holiday. I thought to myself, "I'm a lousy
correspondent, and I need to email Randi to thank her for the postcard
and check in to see how she's doing."

This morning, I see her email.

In the space of 24 hours, we can lose someone close to us, or learn
that someone close to us has lost someone special to him or her. It
affects us differently, of course, but it turns our worlds upside-down

When my stepfather's grandmother passed suddenly after a lengthy
illness, I was confused about how to feel. My girlfriend Jennifer told
me: "My clergyman said after the death of my grandmother, 'Everyone
grieves in different ways.'"

I didn't completely understand the impact of those words then, but I
remember taking comfort in them. I don't know if that offers you any
comfort, but I hope it does in some small part.

Randi, you and your family will be in my heart, my thoughts, and my

As for the rest of you, I'm suspending roleplaying for 48 hours to
allow us to reflect on our family and friends and to spend time with
them. I sincerely hope you find this time worthwhile to you.

Best wishes to all of you,