[USS Vanguard] OoC: Mission Premise: Children of the Past

  • From: "andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:44:08 -0500

OoC: I received a very good email to request that I give everyone some idea of
how I envisioned each mission would begin, how it would proceed, and how it
would end. I've always hesitated to do that in order to keep some sense of
suspense, but I realize how it would help everyone shape their posts and also
provide structure.

En route to the Borg homeworld, the crew of the Vanguard are most surprised to
encounter a temporal anomaly after an accident forces them from the Borg

The crew find themselves near a virtual Utopia, a pristine M-class planet
settled by their descendants. (They are aware of a similar situation
encountered by the officers of Deep Space Nine and a not-well-documented
incident occurring with the crew of the original NX-01 Enterprise.)

As gravity appears to be weaker in some parts of the galaxy more than others,
space-time appears to be weaker around New Vanguard (as the descendants have
named their new home). New Vanguard's inhabitants claim to be the children,
grandchildren and great-grandchildren(?) of the Vanguard's crew, whose accident
left them stranded at New Vanguard nearly a century ago. (Record keeping is
spotty, as it would be pointless.)

Both amused and bemused by their situation, the Vanguard's crew enjoy meeting
their offspring and the family trees that have ensued. But soon a darker
picture emerges: Some of the crew learn that New Vanguard's inhabitants support
trying to escape this world (as their forebears did), while others oppose this
idea, having grown to love their new world and the society they've constructed.

The crew soon find themselves choosing sides in the battle between the
Off-Worlders and the Settlers.

Unanswered questions that you don't need to explore but may explore, if you
choose: (1) Isn't it a paradox that the accident that allowed the Vanguard's
crew to meet their descendants was the accident that created the descendants in
the first place? (2) Could New Vanguard's weak space-time account for this
paradox? (3) If a weak space-time allows paradoxes like this to exist and yet
New Vanguard's inhabitants to age and grow, what other effects might there be?
(4) How have non-Terran aliens like Zena Quetan, Kieran Darkwater, Shar, Ceelak
Nostrova, Jaav E'thexx, Desdemona Barrett-Brown and Xristha Droin dealt with
this situation?