[USS Vanguard] Re: OoC: London

  • From: Kent Kavan <tonykavan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:05:47 -0800 (PST)

Just FYI I live less than 50 miles from Omaha and I don't blame you.  (See
comment below.)

Happy Holidays,

Tony
"Andy W. Ho" <andywoho@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
First, let me apologize in advance for not offering to travel around
England a bit more--we were originally planning on a six-night stay,
which would have afforded more time to be leisurely, I suppose, but we
compromised on a four-night stay.

I've been to England before; J. has not, although she did spend a
semester in Italy. But I digress.

Since J. has never seen London before, and because I have not once or
twice but THREE times without (a) stepping foot in the Tower of London,
(b) seeing the British Museum, Tate Gallery or Westminster Abbey, (c)
doing the typically American touristy things, we've decided to make the
most of our three days there (with a Sunday in Bath with my old host
family) to do a whirlwind tour of London and hit as many of the sights
as possible.

I discussed the arrangements with the boss (ie. my dear J.), and we
both agreed it would be terrific to meet up with as many of you U.K.
folks as possible. Perhaps we could all meet at or near our hotel (it's
centrally located to a lot), have a drink there or nearby, and perhaps
go to a pub or to dinner nearby (or wherever everybody likes)?

I'd give out the location of the hotel now, except that this is a
public list, and if you Google "Andy Ho" the first two hits are this
list! Yes, I'm overly paranoid, perhaps, and I don't have a problem
with anyone on this list--it's the odd stranger in Omaha or Timbuktu
whom I feel doesn't need to know where I stay while I'm on holiday.

I hope this arrangement is good for whomever wants to meet with us. I'm
sorry if I'm making you do so much legwork for a dinner meeting. Round
of drinks and starters on me, then, to make up for my lack of manners??

Where we go from here:

1) Establish a time and place to meet.

2) Straighten out all the contact information.

3) Firm up dates and locations closer to the time.

I'm going to send Mark and Mel our contact information, especially the
name and location of the hotel and perhaps ask if they know anyone in
London who can recommend a nice event location or, better yet, if they
can recommend a nice pub/restaurant/whatever.

Wherever we meet has to have a few requirements: The pub needs to be
incredibly dodgy with lowlife customers who would slit your throat just
to nick your handbag, the drink prices must exceed the yearly GNP of
Botswana, it should be full of old crones who try to "flirt" just to
bum a cigarette, the floor should be sticky, the toilets unspeakable,
the barman (or -girl) surly and anti-American, sport should be blaring
from every conceivable television screen (if it's Australian rugby,
even better) along with that crap dance/techno music. You guys think
you know a place? ;) P.S. Make sure 'tis a night that a "strip pub"
event is going on.

Finally, you'll know me because I'll wear a pin of St. Anthony on my
herringbone sport coat (what you English call a "waist coat," I
think?), and I'll approach you and ask, "Pardon me, do you know a good
patisserie in Neal's Yard?" to which you should counter-sign, "Why,
yes, I believe I do--it's owned by my mother's second cousin." Or I
could just send whomever we're meeting a picture of me and Jenn in
email. :shrugs: Less fun, though.

Oh, and hey--Alec and Jonathon: Why are you two not getting up on
this?? You're invited to London, too, you know! (Did I miss any other
English people?)

Hope you are all enjoying your holidays, and we look forward to seeing
you in London.

Best wishes,

Andy Ho

P.S. We really ought to have some way to remember this event. Sign each
other's books or create a small photo album, I guess. Ideas?

http://photos.yahoo.com/