[USS Vanguard] OoC: Alexa's Concerns/List Moderation

  • From: "andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 08:53:46 -0500

This email is partly a test to make sure messages are passing through
unmoderated for subscribers.

Also, Alexa (Droin) sent an email to the list to find out why she had been
receiving so much spam in her in-box, and she wanted to know if it had anything
to do with this list or another to which she belongs.

Alexa, first of all, I'm sorry that your message didn't make it through. I did
approve it to go through, but it doesn't appear to have done that.

Secondly, I, too, had major problems with Hotmail to the point that I could no
longer use it.

I can say with some assurance that Vanguard isn't the cause of your spam
trouble for a couple of reasons:

1) Hotmail is notorious for being unable to protect their users from spam.
Check it out:

2) If you've ever looked at the FreeLists archives, you will notice that all
our email addresses are stripped out. For example, you appear as
alexstrpg@xxxxxxx on any page open to the public. It would be unlikely, if not
impossible, that spammers could "farm" your address.

I have just spent half an hour reading the FAQ and membership agreement at
FreeLists. I have come across a lot of language about how no advertisements are
injected into the emails passed through the list (true enough), but nothing
about whether the email addresses are sold to third parties. My feeling is "no."

That is not to say that I am right! :) However, my gut feeling tells me that
they don't. Here's why: they sell advertising on their home page as one of the
few ways they can afford to stay in business and they get up on a soapbox about

3) Finally, my spam load has not increased because of my association with
FreeLists or the Vanguard. I know you're not accusing me of anything, but I
would never sell the email list to a third party. All confidential and personal
information is private with me as long as I am the administrator of the
Vanguard list. I have toyed with the idea of putting an email directory on the
Vanguard's home page, but in this day and age that would probably only invite
"clever" spammers.

If you have any other questions, let me know, and I will try to help to the
best of my ability. One thing you could do right now would be to increase the
aggressiveness of your spam filter on Hotmail. You probably knew that they have
a "sliding scale" in terms of how harsh it is. I can't access Web mail from my
workplace, so I couldn't tell you the steps directly, but you probably already
know. Let me know if you don't.

Hope this helps.

Andy Ho

Please continue to send all email to andywoho@xxxxxxxxxx

This is an email account I use from my workplace.