[USS Vanguard] OOC: Reaction to Yesterday's Emails

  • From: "andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <andywoho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:12:53 -0500

I would like to thank everyone who?s responded already and for their vote of
confidence in the Vanguard. I?ve always felt that so long as you want a PbEM
game, I will continue to help you manage a PbEM game.

Some reactions:

Angus: You?re right?character interaction is the lifeblood of any game,
especially one with as many characters and players as Vanguard. Battles and
missions and quests are fun, but they?re just fluff. Some of the best posts
I?ve ever read for the Vanguard and other games had to do with how characters
relate to one another. Crafting mission ideas that allow input from all
departments, all characters, is difficult, but trying to set up situations
where the characters interact is eas(ier). I will try to find more ways to
engage characters in unusual and interesting situations.

Rachel: Maybe they?re sporadic, but the posts you write are always gold, as
good as anyone else?s who plays. So long as there?s a Vanguard (and it looks
like there will be), you will have a place with the game. Welcome! (Again.) I
appreciate your statement of devotion, and I feel the same way: Sometimes, even
though I have other commitments, I have to just sit down and bang stuff out. As
much as I don?t want the Vanguard to turn into a  chore? for me or anyone else
lest it lose the appeal, I think that?s what I?ll have to do: just commit to at
least a post a week and just take it week by week for now. I think Santos will
be stopping into Event Horizon again in the near future.

Alexa: Thank you for your vote of confidence. I have been thinking about taking
the Vanguard in a new direction. My aim for the current game was to (1) get
Vanguard into the Borg wormhole, (2) get them to Borg homeworld, (3) run
mission, (4) end mission. But maybe it doesn?t have to be that commando. Maybe
there are good stories waiting to happen during that trip that could make
Vanguard interesting again. And, yes, I have been thinking about a new ship. I
liked the Astoria to Vanguard migration as I think the players put in some of
their best work to date. Besides, as you so aptly pointed out then,  Why have a
timeship if we don?t run time travel missions?? After all these years, I?ve
learned that time travel missions can be, at the least, confusing. Maybe it?s
time that we moved toward something else.

Steve: Thank you for your kind words.

Where we are/where we?re going: The last time we saw the Vanguard, it was
headed into the Borg transwarp corridor seen in the series finale of  Star
Trek: Voyager.? I?ll be composing a post in the next day or two that will find
the Vanguard in a most unusual situation: a space/time accident will find the
crew among their children and grandchildren from approximately 70 years into a
future where the Vanguard was marooned with no hope of returning to the Alpha
Quadrant.

If this sounds familiar, it?s because it?s been done before in the Star Trek TV
shows: first on Deep Space Nine:  Children of Time? and again with Enterprise:
E^2?.

If their writers can write it twice, why can?t we do it once? Time to think
about what your characters? children and grandchildren will be like, and more
importantly, how your characters paired off?

For an excellent resource on Star Trek?s time travel related episodes and how
time travel plays into each one, try the following I found from Google cache:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:HGmENYtBO9UJ:www.ex-astris-scientia.org/timetravel6.htm
 enterprise time accident their children&hl=en